Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some advice before I just do it and learn the hard way.
Just ordered the Glowshift 3 in 1 diesel guage today Analog EGT and digital Boost and temp. But i have a question concerning how i should hook the temp sensor. It is a two wire thermo couple sensor like the one just to the left of the Water crossover on top of engine block. Can I just tap into these exsisting wires that feed the ECM Temp control for shifting or should i drill and tap into the water crossover? Someone here has the answer and i patiently await...

Thx

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sorry but no install tips from me. Why not use the temp sensor for tranny temp unless you have a manual?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was going to hook into water Temp as opposed to tranny, but still up in air on it. Just curious if tapping into exsisting harness would mess with any resistance on factory sensor that feeds ECM. I may just as well see of there is a bung located on the crossover someplace to tap into. initiall may not hook temp up. i was more interested in EGT and boost secondary.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The coolant crossover sensor is for the ECM and GP's. Your H2O dash gauge is on a different sensor in the block near #1 cylinder. That's the sensor you need to replace with the one for your combo gauge. ~FH

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had the same gauge for a little over a year now...in my 94 i had the temp in the test port on the tranny(automatic) for temp there.....not the best spot i know but it worked and only took about 2min to put in. If your just looking for a place to stick it till you decide, thats an easy spot.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have Gloshift gauges. The coolant temp sensor I put in the right head block-off plate that is on the rear of the head. If the right head were turned around and used as a left head, that plate covers the location where the crossover tube would be. Since that right rear location is supposedly the hot spot of the heads I figured that would be the best place since I do some towing.

I hope you have better luck with your gauges than I have had. I installed five gauges, EGT boost, fuel pressure, coolant, and tranny temp. Only the EGT and boost are still working (they are mechanical). The fuel gauge sensor I replaced twice and since it has quit again I've quit replacing sensors. The tranny temp needle started going crazy, swinging wildly with no seeming pattern to when it would work or go crazy. About the same time the coolant temp started doing the same thing. I disconnected the gauge wiring from the sensor, so no sensor input. That made no difference, it still went crazy.

Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Gloshift gauges. The coolant temp sensor I put in the right head block-off plate that is on the rear of the head. If the right head were turned around and used as a left head, that plate covers the location where the crossover tube would be. Since that right rear location is supposedly the hot spot of the heads I figured that would be the best place since I do some towing.

I hope you have better luck with your gauges than I have had. I installed five gauges, EGT boost, fuel pressure, coolant, and tranny temp. Only the EGT and boost are still working (they are mechanical). The fuel gauge sensor I replaced twice and since it has quit again I've quit replacing sensors. The tranny temp needle started going crazy, swinging wildly with no seeming pattern to when it would work or go crazy. About the same time the coolant temp started doing the same thing. I disconnected the gauge wiring from the sensor, so no sensor input. That made no difference, it still went crazy.

Don
Thanks for the input. I am assuming the probe that comes with it is a duel wire fed probe and if so, that is why I was asking about the sensor that feeds the ECM as it too is a two wire fed senson as opposed to the one on R side that feeds the Temp guage in truck. If it is a one wire (Glowshift sensor) than I will put where the engine temp guage is in R side of block. I was just wondering IF I could tap into the Sensor that feeds the ECM without issues. Thanks for all advive given tho and I may look into test bung for tranny if all else fails. I dont tow heavy rarely as this is just my weekender now. 73's

·
Registered
680 Posts
It is a dual wire sensor. I don't know if it is possible/safe to tap into the sensor you are talking about. If you do tap into it please let us know how it works out.

Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
their in

Well , got the Glowshift 3 in 1 one installe this weekend. wasnt too bad. EGT probe was most challenging as there isnt a lot of space to get in exhaust manifold so i went at the flange of the down pipe. Turbo , too easy, I installed Sensor right by rubber boot connecting mani to turbo. Took manifold off to drill and tap so I could get all the shaving out and cleaned up inside before re-install. Water temp, was way to easy went right into the bleeder valve. Just removed valve and installed the temp probe there. will just have to remove or undo some when i need to flush and do water anti freeze change to bleed.
What I see so far:
Temp on sensor runs at a higher temp than factory guage. Meter says at full warm up and highway and in town travelling 195-200 degree

factory sensor runs at around 180-195. I imagine the glow shif if calibrated right is a more accurate reading of what temp is.

it cannot be dimmed due to LED lighting and LED's are either on or off they wont dim. Kinda bright and there wasnt enough wire to mount low. (Future Project) when time permits to extend harness.

Boost = Seems to be accurate. Digital so it will read numbers from 0 and max i have seen is 9. I am not a lead footer. Try to take care of my crap.

Aalso did passenger side front hub and both ball joints on pass side yesterday too. What a PITA!!!! Need to get tie rod end done this week too. Got one from advance yesterday to do it too but Thread was wrong way. I think i need a right hand thread and this one was left. took 7 hours to get joints and hub on. Alot of rust and heave beatings took place.

enough so far I am satisfied with the glow shift except for brightness. gunna have to put hankee over it at night to keep reflection down.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine dim when the headlights are on. It's still kinda bright, but it would be really bad if the wire wasn't hooked up that dims them at night. Some of the colors are better than others in that respect too; red seems less bright.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine dim when the headlights are on. It's still kinda bright, but it would be really bad if the wire wasn't hooked up that dims them at night. Some of the colors are better than others in that respect too; red seems less bright.
I whole heartedly agree on the red. Although I like the green for day but the red is less glare on the eyes at night. I think im just gunna throw a light see thru cloth over it at night. Jerry rigged, yes, but affective, maybe.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I never could get my 3 in 1 to dim with the headlights and I find the digital displays to be too dim in the daytime. Otherwise it still works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.