Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

anybody know which plastic (abs, pvc, etc) they are made of? mine are in pretty good shape but one cracked a bit when it was removed and i'm sure it will destroy itself if i ever need to remove it again. i'd like to do a good repair on it but am not sure what to use. i'm thinking of trying a hot-air plastic welder. has anybody used one, any suggestions, comments, etc?

most of the specialized parts suppliers sell interior paints; anybody recommend one over the other? the panels have weathered a bit but not too bad. thanks,

peyton

·
Registered
21 Posts
Scuff it on inside (hidden) surface, a layer of fiberglass mat and some resin... not too thick but enough to add some strength. I fixed a crack like that years ago and it never gave me any more trouble

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scuff it on inside (hidden) surface, a layer of fiberglass mat and some resin... not too thick but enough to add some strength. I fixed a crack like that years ago and it never gave me any more trouble

To repaint them, just use some vht or duplicolor made for plastic and vinyl, seems to adhere pretty well
probably just what i'll end up doing. i'm intrigued with the idea of hot-air plastic welding but maybe it is just an excuse for a new tool.

peyton

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
If you look around on them, a lot of plastics have molded into them what they are next to a part number or something.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look around on them, a lot of plastics have molded into them what they are next to a part number or something.
thanks,

i did look on them for something like that. couldn't find anything but i'm going to look again before i re-install them as i sometimes overlook items. fwiw, they do have on them the part numbers and years as well as the names of the colors available.

peyton

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd be tempted to fill the cracks and recover them in vynil with a thin foam with maybe double side adhesive with peel off backing. There is a good supplier of most post war interior materials in the USA, they will post you samples.
If you use spray glue get some ok for vynil and plastics not the usual. Unfortunately the new material may take a while to match the old original.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts