Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the crazy larry edition last weekend. That sunday night I left for work up to New York. It is 300 hundred miles up and when I left I reset my mpg gauge. When I got up to where I needed to be I checked it and it read 31.4 MPG!! What!!! The best I ever got before was 21 on performance setting and this was on the crazy larry setting. I will have to check on the next fuel up how many gallons I used and try and hand calculate it cause that can't be right. But when I came back home this weekend I reset it again on the trip home and it read 30.9 MPG. Can't be right though? Can it!!! I will be curious when I check the gallons when I get a chance.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tunes throw off the MPG Calculator, the hotter the tune the more its off. So no, it can't be right. :D As soon as you change the factory tune you can pretty much ignore that thing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Anytime you install a programmer or box your DIC is no longer accurate. You will always need hand calculate when a programmer is installed with miles driven and gallons used.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Hand calculate and you can't go wrong, the DIC can be tricked very easily.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have hand calculated it before on the performance setting and it was within .5 MPG. I havent got the chance on this setting yet. But I no it cant be right, no way!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Did you throw a chain on the bumper of the semi in front of you and just idle? ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
And what is "crazy larry"?

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just For The Fun Of It, This Week A Used A Gps And Had Calculated My Miles Per Gallon. There Was Alot Of Idle Time Involved. I Need To Redo This "test" With Many More Miles. I Run Bully Dog But For This "test" I Had It On Stock. I aso have 265 75 tires. The Results:

Per Truck
8 gal used
17.3 mpg
134 miles

Actual
8.16 gal used per station pump
15.44 mpg hand calculated
126 miles driven per gps

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, prior to adding a tune I got 35mpg going downhill at about 45 mph. My DIC was working great at that time. I only get 13 the rest of the time so I go downhill as much as possible.:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was or is a customer of Bully Dog who didn't think he never had enough power. His name is Larry. You can fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ahh thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your not bursting my bubble, cause I no there is no way that it is getting that MPG I was just making a comment what it was reading cause it never read that high before! So you can burst some other fools bubble! By the way I havent got to fuel up when I got up here to check it cause I don't feel like paying 3.97 up here in New York compared to 3.35 in Pa! Don't need to check it that bad.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ain't know way you'll keep good mileage up in NY using winter fuel so be blessed for now but you'll face a good butt beating on mileage if you stay up around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We used to play games with the older versions of the MPG meters in cars. Used to see who could get it to read the closest to 99MPG in my ex's LaBaron. Best to use a GPS (or accurate odometer) and the gallon readout on the pump to figure your MPG. Miles traveled divided by the gallons used.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just to stir the pot a little:evillol: A few issues back in diesel power they took a dodge 3500 to the desert and did some mods to it: covering wheels with plastic, covering grill, 210 thermostat, and so on. They ended up getting 34 mpg out of it and it didn't run hot in the 100+ heat.

Just something to think about.:idea:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts