Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine started fine this morning, but on moving off I noticed that none of the instruments worked. After my trip, I did a search on the forum and it appears that there is a minimum 'wake up' battery voltage of 10v required, at startup, in order to initialize the instrument control systems. I can understand how this could cause a problem since the heavy starting current could easily pull the battery voltage down to less than 10v when attempting to start. Since my engine started in a completely normal fashion, I would be surprised if weak batteries are the problem.
In the course of a drive of approx. 100 miles this morning, I have stopped and started the engine twice, and still none of the instruments are operational. If the batteries were a little undercharged, they would be fully charged by now.
All of the indicator lights on the instrument cluster work and I am not aware of any other malfunctions. It is as though there is a fuse blown that is unique to these analog indicators. If there is one, which one is it?
Any clues, ideas?

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
A bad battery or a bad connection. Swing by the local auto parts store and have them test your batteries separately.

There is a reflash that some say helps, but I found the hard way that the battery was the culprit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the replies to my problem. At least one person made a suggestion.
Put the batteries on charge overnight, and when I started the engine this morning, there was no change. Phoned the local GM dealer and spoke to the electrical guy. He suggested that there are four fuses that could cause the problem. They are: IPC/DIC, IGN 4, SEOB1, and SEO IGN. I pulled all four fuses in turn and non were blown. I then started the engine and everything is now OK.
I do not think that the problem was caused by a bad fuse connector since it required a lot of force to remove and re-insert each fuse. I can only think that by removing then replacing one of these fuses, it rebooted the IPC logic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got a letter in the mail from gm a few weeks ago. It was about the instrument cluster and it possibly failing. I forget what the warranty terms were, something like 5 yrs or 70,000 miles. I think I threw the letter away because I was over the miles. But anyway I would check with your dealership about this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my dad just called to tell me that he recieved in the mail today gm will replace his instrument cluster because of the many problems they are having with them he has a 2004 chevy gasser 3/4 ton his speedo was going nuts on us one day on the ay home from hunting up north said we were doing 70 mph but was more like 50 on gps

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Thanks for all the replies to my problem. At least one person made a suggestion.
What - you want people to reply even if they don't know what the problem is - or if someone has already said what they were going to? :rolleyes:

OK, Do what Rick said. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts