Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been very regular since reading about the Duramax injector problems. What's up? Do you think it is a filter issue, fuel issue or a quality issue? I wish I could convice myself that an after market fuel filter will cure all problems but no filter in the world can make up for manufacturing quality problems. Isn't it feasable you could install better filtration and still have injector problems? I just like feel I'm sitting on a time bomb! We have quite an investment in the D-Max and I for one don't feel happy about the probable chance of a repair bill higher than the initial cost of the D-Max to begin with. Can anyone help me feel better????

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Many of us have been running added filtration. None of us who are have had negative results.

Fuel cleanliness samples have been done on stock versus added filtration and have shown huge increases in fuel cleanliness.

Studies have shown that particles as small as 5 microns can damage high pressure fuel systems.

The stock filter has shown in sampling that it is not satisfactory in this particle size.

To answer your question.... the majority feels it will increase injector and injection system life. How much? We aren't able to answer that but little by little it will come out in postings.

Cure all? I don't think so.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, thanks for your reply. I sure hate to spend money on an after market filter, just to prolong the injectors till I get 100,001 miles on the machine and then have em go out. G.M. should have a special injector warranty for 300,000. Especialy with their injector track record.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
SaguaroKid,

I think you are not the only one here to have nightmares about high Dmax repar bills. As far a solution goes I am not really sure we need one. This site is like a magnifying glass. It takes a very small sample of people and discusses there problems over and over. There has been no real data compiled to predict failure rates. There are approx. 375000 dmaxes in service. There are approx. 2200 registered users at this site. There are only 10-15 reporting problems here at this sight. 10-15 might really be like 4 or 5. There is no data as to the milage of these trucks,the filtering systems, driving habbits and performance upgrades. I am not saying there is not a problem, just that is too early to tell. As far as filters go. I do not personally believe they will protect your injectors from low milage failures. A truck at 7-15K miles that has bad injectors is not related to fuel! I do however believe extra fitration whether it be oil,fuel or air will help protect your investment over the long run. 100K-300K miles.

Just think about it like this. Over the next 100K your truck is still under warranty. Any problems will be covered by GM. Hopefully your truck will be payed off around this time frame. If your truck has an injector failure at 101K miles you have to spend another 5-7 grand. You will then hopefully be able to drive your truck another 100K. Consider it the GM pay as you go plan.
I know it is not the best answer but this is what I tell myself.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
10 Posts
You know Bronco...it's funny you put it that way about investing the additional $5000.

My wife and I were just discussing the same thing earlier tonight and that is the solution she and I came up with. Drive the thing till it needs new injectors, replace, drive some more.

Hopefully by then there will have been a class action lawsuit against GM/Bosch for lemon injector design (I wont hold my breath).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Many of us have been running added filtration. None of us who are have had negative results.

Not true, unless my dealer's diagnosis turns out to be wrong when they crack the engine this week.

I installed a Nicktane at 4000 miles, and despite its presence, all indication are that I blew at least one injector at 14,400. Nick's kit is fantastic, and I will continue to use it. For injector issues that are fuel-quality related, I think secondary is a must, and my choice is still the Nicktane, for a variety of reasons. All Duramaxes should have secondary.

But, as written before, when injectors fail at relatively low miles, fuel quality is not the issue, as, unfortunately, proven by me. My truck ran without secondary for 4000 miles, and 10,000 with. My engine did not fail because of poor fuel quality. If it is injectors, and it sure looks to be, somehting else was deficient.

It sucks being the statistical anomaly, but here I sit.

Rick

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Campfire Rick,

You're not a statistical anomaly. What he means by "none of us are having negative results" is there are no issues with that filter system as far as effects on performance and startup (air) is concerned.

You did not lose an injector because of the filter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hoot:

Agreed. I never meant to imply that the filter had caused the failure. That would be bass-ackwards logic.

My point was that there seems to be an injector issue that goes beyond fuel quality, to the point that even first-rate filtration is unable to prevent early failure.

I still think Nick's kit is the best at avoiding long term wear on injectors, primarily by the dreaded 5/7-micron particles that get by our 10-micron OEM filter, causing injectors to fail before reaching the hundreds of thousands of miles many of us expect from our rigs.

A bad injector at 14,400 is a whole different animal. Something else is going on there. Again, no amount of filtration would have prevented its failure.

RickEdited by: Campfire_Rick

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Rick,

I could not of said it better myself!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Hopefully this will hit their pocketbook hard enough for them to make the necessary design changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bronco said:
SaguaroKid,

I think you are not the only one here to have nightmares about high Dmax repar bills. As far a solution goes I am not really sure we need one. This site is like a magnifying glass. It takes a very small sample of people and discusses there problems over and over. There has been no real data compiled to predict failure rates. There are approx. 375000 dmaxes in service. There are approx. 2200 registered users at this site. There are only 10-15 reporting problems here at this sight. 10-15 might really be like 4 or 5. There is no data as to the milage of these trucks,the filtering systems, driving habbits and performance upgrades. I am not saying there is not a problem, just that is too early to tell. As far as filters go. I do not personally believe they will protect your injectors from low milage failures. A truck at 7-15K miles that has bad injectors is not related to fuel! I do however believe extra fitration whether it be oil,fuel or air will help protect your investment over the long run. 100K-300K miles.

Just think about it like this. Over the next 100K your truck is still under warranty. Any problems will be covered by GM. Hopefully your truck will be payed off around this time frame. If your truck has an injector failure at 101K miles you have to spend another 5-7 grand. You will then hopefully be able to drive your truck another 100K. Consider it the GM pay as you go plan.
I know it is not the best answer but this is what I tell myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bronco said:
SaguaroKid,

I know it is not the best answer but this is what I tell myself.
What you are saying here is sound logical advice. Unfortunately for me I am one of the unlucky ones. Now you have to understand that I have owned Chevy's befor and I can say that they have never let me down. Ofcourse these were all gas burners. I concidered one of those others when I decided to go the deisel way, but couldn't bring myself to it. Well six injectors have been replaced to date on my 02 Dmax. 1st 4 at 22000 miles. Second two original injectors at around 32000 miles. Now at 41000 miles the symptoms are back again. This is a stock ride. Taken care of, filters replaced well within recommended intervals. I am completly satisfied with this rig in every other way. But this injector system sucks.( on my truck at least) So I just joined this forum last night to try and find out what my next move should be. So far I have not been scared away from the Dmax decision, but something has to be done to correct my truck. For some reason I got a bad one, or the dealership I'm taking it too for service is not doing the right thing to solve the problem completly.

Is there aftermarket injectors bor this beast when the 100000 miles warranty is up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are the symptoms of bad injectors? I added a Nictane filter at about 65,000 miles on my '01 crewcab Duramax. I don't get nearly the mileage I see listed by other D-Max owners, and wonder if bad injectors could be the problem. I only get 14mpg max around town, and never more than 16 on the hwy. I usually get 7-9 towing a 12,000lb 5'er. I've checked the oil and it's never high, and doesn't smell like diesel fuel. I've never had the oil analyzed though. Any thing else I should look for? By the way, the truck starts and runs fine. I have a Predator with X-Monitor guage, and 4" exhaust. I run on the 85hp setting regularly, and 60hp when towing.

Thanks in advance for the advice. This forum is great!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I, too, have had injectors replaced on my vehicle. I purchased it used at 70,100 miles, and while driving it home (from Texas) had the fuel-in-the-oil problem. Factory covered the repair (minus $100 deductable), but now I am wondering about the remaining 6 injectors. One of the replaced injectors was allowing bypass back into the fuel system, and not into the crankcase. Poor performance could be attributed to this, as the pressures needed for the injectors to work properly cannot be reached.

I am researching secondary filtration, any suggestions?

Shrubber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts