Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate hearing how difficult it is to change injectors on my '03. Special tooling required? I am running the full Banks enchilata and expect the dealer would not discuss warranty. Every once-in-a-while I get white smoke at idle. No special or repetitive reason why. I have a fully equipped hobby shop with lift, lot of tools, etc. should I tackle injectors when the time comes?
FYI I had two injectors changed on my work '03 truck with 137,000 miles on it and there was no charge.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
There is a pictorial of sorts here some where. I'll search around for it later.It was done on a 02 and he (BMDMAX) might have listed any special tools etc.I suggest a Helm's manual also.

You could try PM'ing him also

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had to do my own injectors. stealer would not warranty.if you have any mechanical skills you can do the change yourself.the only special tool you will need that most people dont have is a fuel line dissconect tool (about $10.00)to disconnect the fuel lines over the drivers side valve cover. i took several photos of my operation but am very computer illiterate and dont know how to post them.sorry & goodluck.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Don't forget the injector puller J-?????. And keep the 5mm stubby socket handy...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
How much would it cost to say change all 8 injectors yourself?
You'll need....
8 injectors
4 injector to return line gaskets
2 return line to cylinder head gaskets
2 lower valve cover gaskets (can be reused if you'd like)
RTV for upper valve covers
Lots of coolant
Oil change
Sometime an injector sleeve and o-rings or all of them
Upper rad hose O-ring
And I always change the fuel filter when I do a set!!

Cost...I'd say $2400 in just injectors @ $300each. They may be cheaper! $300-$400 in the rest. Just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts