Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After bidding un-succesfully for a tester at an online auction,I decided to build my own.Total cost:$60 canadian.I used a portable hydralic power-pack(4ton),one T fitting,pressure gauge.Works AWESOME!!!!I ordered a camera last week.When it gets here I will up-load pics.....I checked 12 spare injectors I have and 2 of them were good,the rest were garbage.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Please show us how. Ever since Asnowsquall posted those injectors popping off, I've wanted one for myself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I never really thought about it, but that is a simple plan! I guess the threads on the injectors are not special?

Bill

·
Registered
840 Posts
10 out of 12 were bad, Are you sure your tester is right???

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10 out of 12 were bad, Are you sure your tester is right???
Some of them would leak at a steady pressure(1800-1900)others would spray a thin jet of fuel before popping.The two good ones held pressure up to 2000 psi and would pop at 2100 PSI

·
Registered
233 Posts
Basically the same thing I was seeing, except some of mine were so bad they we popping around 1,600 psi. Some of the streams that were coming out were on an angle. Just hope my engine is OK in the long run.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Basically the same thing I was seeing, except some of mine were so bad they we popping around 1,600 psi. Some of the streams that were coming out were on an angle. Just hope my engine is OK in the long run.
Yep I've seen pistons out of army diesels cut thru like a torch cut it, caused by a stream of fuel vs a misted spray. this was in a 360 hp inline 6 cylinder made by Styer(HLVW)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the link Diesel Pro......Here are the pics:Use high pressure hydraulic fittings only!And a 3000-4000 psi gauge.The end that connects to the injector is a spare injector line I had.It is silver soldered into a hydraulic plug that was drilled out.When I bought the cylinder it was full of hydraulic fluid.Just pump it out and keep adding diesel till it clears of the original fluid.REMEMBER..KEEP HANDS AWAY FROM NOZZLE WHEN IT POPS!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
That's a fine machine you got there. Things to add. Need a high pressure shut-off valve to isolate the gauge when popping injector. Open valve slightly to test pressure. Diesel might effect the seals in the pump. Suggest getting some test oil from your local fuel shop. (Light Hydraulic fluid might work) Not quite as harsh on the working components . Ask if they have some old lines to add to your machine. Check my garage on flame testing. Be careful, have fun.
Quantum, You taking notes?

P.S. Pics are near perfect.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks D.P.light hydraulic fluid sounds like it would work.What about mineral oil?I'll add 2 valves on the output side of the tester.Once desired pressure is reached with gauge,just close supply valve(isolating the gauge & holding high pressure between the two valves)and then open output valve to test injector.Should work,Eh?Oh,I want to thank asnowsquall For posting his injector pics and videos.He got me started on the idea.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I've gotta have one after seeing you 2 guys.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Thanks D.P.light hydraulic fluid sounds like it would work. I'll add 2 valves on the output side of the tester.Once desired pressure is reached with gauge,just close supply valve(isolating the gauge & holding high pressure between the two valves) .
Just one valve going to the gauge is sufficient.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys,

What is the proper pop pressure for a stock 6.5 injector?

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Hi guys,

What is the proper pop pressure for a stock 6.5 injector?
Well, seems this is another question that has just been left hanging too long for our tastes....LOL. The OEM pop pressure for n/a 6.2L is 1850-1900psi. The pop pressure for the 6.5L turbo injector is 2150-2200psi, 6.5L n/a is the same as the 6.2L n/a pop pressure. We have increased pop pressure, as the boost pressure was increased, and find 2400-2600psi reasonable....J&J.

Reactions: mbost and Diaric

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Holy 9 years later batman. :eek: :whistle:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts