Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my o-ring and copper washer on the injector directly beneath the FICM, and while it was
a PITA, it wasn't too bad. This is for LLY only , but I'm sure LB7 is not that different. Also I'm not an
expert, I had the help of many people here.
First off, take off the fender liner and remove the tire. Make sure you have the truck setup on jack-stands
properly as you may be under there a while.

You'll need:
12mm wrench
17mm wrench
small and long flathead screwdriver
large flathead screwdriver

To remove the FICM and bracket bolts,(only for one of your injectors) you'll also need a 9/16" socket or 13 mm
(whatever that amounts to)

First, disconnect the electrical connector, you can use a flathead to pushdown on the tab part and wiggle it
to get it off.
Second, remove the co-responding fuel line (gold in color, need to disconnect from the injector and the fuel rail)
Completly remove that line.
Remove the fuel return line, it is significantly smaller in diameter and is mad of a different material.
In order to do so, you have to remove the "horseshoe" looking clip.....BE VERY CAREFUL as it can pop off,
and be lost very easily.

Loosen the 12mm bolt on the hold-down that goes around the injector to hold it down.
You can use the large flathead and wedge it under the hold down and push down on the screwdriver.
Some may come out easily, some are a REAL PITA!!!
After removing the injector, replace the copper washer that goes over/around the nozzle and also replace
the o-ring.
Vaseline or grease will help hold these in place.

Put everything back together and your done!!!!

Pics and part numbers to follow!:)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't forget to clean off the area above and around the injector and all the lines before you pull the injector out or the lines off. Blow it off with an air hose and you can use a carb cleaner if you have any build up like i did. Just make sure there isn't anything loose lying around, the last thing you want is anything falling into the cylinder once you get the injector out.

Vendors here have the o-rings and copper washer for either LB7 or LLY.
Two I know of are dmaxallitech and MDE.

LLY GM part #'s
o-ring -#94013303
copper washer - #97327722

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pics..... OUr batteries went dead on the digital so I had to use a disposable camera, didn't turn out so well and walmart even lost 5 of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Great write up, just what I needed to get cranking on mine! #8 for me. As you said "what a pita" absolutely no room to work back there. I was temped to lift the motor a bit to gain some clearance but persistence paid off. I had to move the fuel lines and the glow plug controller as well as go through the fender liner to free the fuel line from the injector. OK, now a course on camera focus is in order!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raider2000;1761611; said:
Did you recalibrate the FICM & ECM to the flow rates of the new injectors?
no actually I didn't replace the injectors themselves, I just replaced the oring and washer.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
LB7's are a little more difficult, trust me

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
mvnvltn;1769975; said:
x2, they are inside the valve cover:mad:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just got done with a injector nozzle swop on my LLY. and be sure that when you take the old nozzles off do it on a clean flat surface b/c there is a small metal piece that controls the push on the nozzle. this piece is tiny, it measures approximatly 1/8" in diameter, and 1/16" in height. if you loss these and you go to start your truck up you will have your injectors held wide open, lots of fuel in the exhaust and lots of knocking. i have two that i carelessly threw around. So be carefull!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
mvnvltn;1769975; said:
understatement of the year award.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't LB7s have the one of the most difficult injector placements of any diesel?

Good write up!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Thanks for the part #'s, they came in handy ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts