Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told (and it makes sense to me) to clean up the injector seat before installing new injectors on the engine. I've heard suggestions like using a shotgun brush to clean it up, but I'm real wary of getting foreign dirt & debris inside the engine while doing this. Would a shotgun brush be better than a crimped wire brush on the end of my drill for cleaning up this shoulder? Or should I try to get in there with solvent saturated Q-tips (though that seems quite meticulous)? Would a shot of compressed air in the injector port be sufficient at getting the any foreign matter out of the cylinder?

Also, I'm tempted to use some degreaser to help soften up/wash off the grime from the injector seat, but would using brake cleaner/degreaser be a bad call for the possibility of it getting inside the cylinder & contaminating the engine oil?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Compressed air should be all you need, anything thats down there would have to have fallen there after the injector came out so it will blow away easily. Use a long tip on an air nozzle if you can, to blow into the chamber and blow the debris out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Spin the engine over might spit some of the dirt out to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always clean around the injector with brake cleaner before I take it off. I figure beyond that, I would wait till the heads comes off.
On the other hand, I do clean the injector tips using an ultrasonic cleaner. Seems to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts