Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They just replaced my injectors. Mechanic said #3 was stuck open??

Can you guys elaborate on this and give me a better description. I am not sure what stuck open means. Was it a particle blocking the nozzle?? Did the electromagnetic lifter stop working??

Thanks,
Marco Polo

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The solenoid allows an upper ball and seat to channel high pressure fuel to the needle and nozzle and open the injector. Damage to this ball and seat is the classic injector failure in the Bosch HPCR. Since this is the "mechanical" side of injector control, the injector will either operate off timing or fail to fully close and leak by due to the high rail pressure behind the injector when it should be closed.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Having the injector stuck open wouldn't that cause fuel to constantly leak into the cylinder and eat a piston or do some other damage like a hydrolok ?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Depends on how much, DD. It can burn a piston, burn valves, actually cut a hole in the piston top or hydrolock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idle Clatter,

Is it possible for the injector that was stuck open to return to normal operation or is it permanently stuck open???

My buddy has a Ford 6.0 with similar symptoms for days and the dealer told him to rev the engine/drive truck hard and it might fix the problem. His problem went away.

Marco Polo

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
If there's something that's jamming the internal ball that can be dislodged it could get better, I guess. Problem is that piece of material would have to work its way out of the injector and into recirc flow instead of further down into the injector body, who knows? A lot of injector issues in the early styles centered around the ball and its seat getting damaged/cut/worn and that problem will not self-cure. One thing to remember on the Ford injectors is that they are different from our Bosch system and use high pressure *engine oil* to activate the injector - ours uses high pressure fuel only. There may be an air lock or contaminant issue in their injection system that can be revved-up and cleared - I really don't know all that much fine detail on the Ford system (and don't want to).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts