Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay a few years ago I picked up a 89 3500 to use on the ranch real cheap, I don't know a lot about the trucks history but I believe the motor has been rebuilt at some point and time.
Now to my problem.
The truck has always had a bad vibration @ idle all mounts okay, a little pedel and the vibration goes away.
On cold Mornings if I don't plug it in it is hard to start.
fuel pressure and glow plugs all check out.
The injector pump timing marks look okay, so I thought it might be my compression, but my buddy says it has more power than his 6.2 so I'm reluctant to mess with it.
Any thoughts guys?

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
If its cold out, its going to be hard to start.

could try to advance the IP timing. take it towards the drivers side one lines width only

·
Registered
205 Posts
You should never have to plug your truck in in Florida. Have you checked the glow plugs? Also, what is the idle speed? Might just need to turn it up slightly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi TFLundyB275 ,Get the same idea to adj timig . How u know its o.k. too little or too much. Any advice?

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
Gee, I forgot hes from florida. oh well, he did mention glow plugs check okay.

Tigman, this should explain it. usually if the timing chain is worn, 1 lines width to the drivers side is all it needs.
Timing could be too far advanced. Find the advance lever on the injection pump passenger side, with engine running at idle, depress lever fully, this will retard the timing, engine should stumble and run rough, if the speed just slows down some, timing is too far advanced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts