Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been much discussion and reporting concerning injector problems on the Duramax from 01, 02 now some on the 03. Is this a random problem, or is there a genuine defect to the injector. Have any improvements to these injectors been made from 01? Of the total volume of Duramax engines built, what % of the engines show these injector problems? Is this % greater than 1% or less? This issue makes one wonder if it is only a matter of time that the engine will fail with an injector problem or can it run for over a 100,000 miles without any problems? Thanks for your consideration on this issue.

Ed - formerly a 3 times Cummins owner.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Well Ed.... Thats a good question that I bet alot of people would like an answer too. The injectors were changed slightly in mid 02 model year to include a hardened seat and needle. This has proven to help extend the life of the injectors and make failures less frequent. The fact that even 03 models are having trouble is interesting and it proves that more can be done.. I would imagine that as these injectors come back, somebody in Bosch would be examining these and determining a failure(s). I believe they are making the changes based on that info. The new LLY engine due to be released around the first of the year will include redesigned injectors possibly, at least as far as mounting goes. I dont know how much change they will go through.

As far a %'s go, its hard to say. I see alot of them fail but I work on trucks from all over the Great Lakes region.. The average dealer out there has never touched one of these and therefore has likely never seen a failure. Considering the overall durability of the trucks, I feel that the injector issues are small, but they cant be ignored. Thats why so much emphesis has been placed on additional filtration and additives. Both, IMHO, will help extend the life of injectors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts