Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy told us today that the Duramax nozzles would be shipping in 2 weeks. Again these are custom made nozzles and are NEW not old nozzles or new nozzles that have been extrude honed or and EDM used on. Quality is superior to all other nozzles. The manufacturer inspects ALL nozzles not just a few out of every 100. We have had this same type nozzle in the VW TDI for over a year and have had great success with them.

Greg

·
Registered
774 Posts
Greg, any pricing information yet?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I that the part that malfunctions in our injectors? In other words will installing one of these fix a bad injector.

What is the advantage? More flow?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this is what hangs up or wears out. They will be in stock flow and more flow. Dyno's will tell the story.

Greg

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
So we can rebuild our own injectors!

Will it be a lot cheaper?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEs it will be MUCH!! cheaper. I should come in around $125 or less per injector. But the numbers are not final yet do to the euro being up.

Greg

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The nozzles are not what is failing in most cases. It is still recommended that nozzles be installed in a "clean room" and dynamically tested prior to installation.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I can say is according to my source the nozzles are hang up. When testing in the truck and you get X amount of return that means that more fuel is getting past the worn nozzle.

You do have a tiny check ball in the injector that can cause problems too. Other than that the rest is electrical.

Yes they should be assemblied in a clean room. But any good diesel shop can do that. Changing nozzles is not brain surgery and I have seen many done by the DIYerr without any problems.

GregEdited by: LanduytG

·
Registered
909 Posts
This would be a very nice addition to Bosch/GM's current monopoly.

Do they come as a balanced set? Any tolerance numbers?

Any idea what the hang up was? Manufacturability?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I know the injectors for the old IDI engines like my benz were "user-serviceable" to a degree, but I thought the injectors for the high pressure systems would be much less tolerant of error.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If all you are doing is changing nozzles then its not that big a deal. You're not digging into the internals and thats where you could have some major problems.

Greg

·
Registered
994 Posts
The nozzles are not what is failing in most cases. It is still recommended that nozzles be installed in a "clean room" and dynamically tested prior to installation.

JK,

If the nozzles are not failing, then what is?

I am certain there are multiple reasons for injector failures. Do you have any info on the failures and the distribution (%) of each type?

Alan

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Eric was just seeing some of this. Sounds like:

A) Cracking

B) pitting/rusting of a ball

I had a set of used nozzles that delivered low, and recovered with severe cleaning. My source tells me the nozzle assemblies actually seem to be quite durable...

These nozzles will be a welcome arrival, but I'd suggest having them tested before installing as the R&R labor sucks!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
After attending a meeting with Duramax brand quality manager ( he is the guy who releases and oversee's all the TSB's and PI's) and several field engineers who work on the engine, I learned more about the engine and how/why things are the way they are and several steps in the development stages... anyways, different post for that

There were a series of changes made to the injectors, most recent is around 9/03 when they removed the sulpher from the process of making the body which they suspected was leadiing to stress risers. Thus, cracks. Keep in mind that all of the problems he told us about are visible only in the lab, not the field. The tiny check ball that Greg referred to is above the nozzles in the injector and is subject to ball seat erosion. This is a fairly common failure. Also problem was cracked bodies. Not visable cracks, but cracks. Another way to tell a problem was to look at the staked ball in the side of the injector. If the ball is recessed, thats a good thing. If the ball is out then return flow was likely way to high. While I think the nozzles are a step in the right direction, they wont help any unless you have good injectors to start with, its a gamble to say that we can 'fix' them with these nozzles, regardless of the quality. I will be preparing a post/thread outlining all of the discussion from the nearly 2 hour long meeting. There is alot of info that most of you will be suprised to hear.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
YES Eric... thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
John and Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

Being in an engineering environment myself, I know for a fact the GM/DMAX_Limited/Bosch would surely be tracking the injector issues. Eventually some good information will get out to us "end users" of the DMAX product with respect to injectors. Like most people here, I am extremely pleased with the truck. I also want to do everything possible (and within reason) to extend the injector life on my truck.

Lets see, stress cracks, there is probably not much I or anyone can do about those. If they are there from the manufacturing process I guess one can just hope for the best.

The tiny check ball, which appears to be subject to ball seat erosion. This sounds possibly like a fuel cleanliness issue. Maybe caused by lack of fuel lubricity also. So possibly we the end user can have an impact here. Clean-up the fuel as much as possible and use a good additive.

This is where it would be good to hear from GM on what we can do. However, because the way our society works, once GM acknowledges a problem/issue, then the lawsuits start. So it is unlikely we will ever hear anything directly, just through indirect sources.

Looking forward to your write-up Eric.

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree with O C Dmax that at present all we can do is filter the fuel and add lubricity and hope for the best.

As a consequence, my Nicktane filter is presently in transit to me and I'm running a home cooked additive. It consists of 8oz Amsoil ADM & 8oz Amsoil synthetic 2 cycle injector oil per tank of fuel. The ADM helps keep things clean and gum free, etc. and hopefully, the 2 cycle syn oil helps with lubricity. May not help, but I don't see how it can hurt!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
On a side note. Just got a visit from Mike *******, he is the senior service engineer for Dmax ltd. I have LOTS of good info to share..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts