Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

2K on 04 DMAX, Did not punch it til now ( trying to break it in slowly). Under full throttle, noticing injector ping (4th gear just before shift to 5th). Is this common with the diesels? It had been cold 0-15 F, when this happened. Also have the CAT &EGR on the LB7 . It still pulls good, but that knock and ping seems strange, but I am new to diesels IS THIS NORMAL????

JEFF</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Jeff-

What you are hearing is probably the pilot injection shutting off above 2400ish RPM (depends on load and throttle position, etc). It gets noticeably louder. There is no harm in it and every single one does it.

Noises are subjective, of course, but I'm taking odds that's what you're hearing. Search the threads; it's been discussed a lot in the past.

·
Banned
394 Posts
mine does the same....

·
Banned
6,541 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
I heard noise sometimes on hard accleration from the passenger side...opps wait that's only when the wife is in the truck telling me to knock it off!!

When cold mine will sound like it is pinging on moderate acceleration, but I have the Juice and have been told it is due to the timing being changed expecting fuel that isn't there yet cause it hasn't turned on yet. I agree that if you heard it over 2400 rpms or so, it could be the pilot injection shutting off. I noticed the the Juice that my pilot injection cuts off around 2100-2200rpms. Find a side street and put the truck in second or third gear and listen to the truck below 2000 rpms, then go up to about 2500rpms and hold it there and see if that is the same noise you heard, if so it's the PI shutting off.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

THANX GUYS,

I am going to try the test that Bob posted, but it is encouraging to hear that this is a normal occurence.

Jeff</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts