Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Ive read all about injector failures, But Ive never seen them get described in detail. What exactly causes the injectors to fail, Is it dirt/water brought to 24,000 psi that causes the injector to get "worn" And thus it flows more fuel than it should. Or is it another part of the injector that gets worn out and causes it to fail.What causes an injector return line leak?

Like a "sticking" injector, what causes the injector to stick, Ive read of injector needles, but dont know of their purpose. Can someone give me the low down on injectors, their design, and how or what causes them to fail.?

Im getting nervous here man, I bought this truck to last me a while with minimal costs and downtime....Now Im thinking Id rather sacrifice fuel mileage and operating costs, save myself the cost of a diesel and Ally...and just stuck with a gasser.....Im in bad mood I guess......Im starting to think Diesels aint the way to go no more...... Its either that or I buy myself an LLY.....Which I might do anyways, At least Inj change doesnt involve so much bs.

Bill

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm with you ... most people will say "don't worry, be happy" and just drive it and hope you don't see the day when you have to check the fuel level by pulling the dip stick.
The way I look at it is I have a 100K warranty ... if something pukes the dealer fixes it. If the dealer doesn't fix it in 2-3 attempts the truck is history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 73,000 on my 2002 and had 3 injectors fail! Two were not putting out the way they should and one was stuck open. I had all kinds of fuel in the crack case, furthermore no warning light came on. Ionly found out by oil and fuel dripping from end to end. I didn`t know how long I was driving with fuel in the case. It took 3 weeks to fix! GM would not pay to drop oil pan and check for piston and/or bearing wash out, just paid for injectors. I have always bought chev but now looking at ford. My friend just bought one with 325 HP & 560 Lbs. of torque!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That's great Chris....

Read this thoroughly.....

Article

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
This article tells me that all makes and models are suseptable to problems. It's more important how the dealer handles these problems. We as consumers need to try harder to get more testing done on these motors after a injector failure. I can't believe there is no extra engine wear when these problems accur. A few engine repacements and they will build a real fuel system!!!!!!!! I need to go cry now. Edited by: Bronco

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
As far as the 100,000 mile warranty on the Dmax goes I am not so sure. The dealer was always real vague about it, other than the 3y/36k BtB. I read as much as I could about the motor and I do not believe there is an actual 100K warranty on it. GASP. It seems to me that it is more like a federal emmisions compliance action. Meaning they only need to replace a part because the truck will run outside of specified emmissions.There is also aspecified part list. Basically if your truck broke a timing chain at 75k and became completly inoperable they would not have to fix it. This is why they do not fix anymore than neccesary when you take your truck in. I could be wrong. Prove it!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bronco,

The engine is completely covered by a 5yr/100k warranty ($100 deductible after 3/36 bumper to bumper). The language is very specific in the Light Duty Truck Warranty booklet that comes with every truck. If you have doubts, read this document.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That's right. There is no question.

The Dmax engine is under the 5/100,000 limited plan. That pretty much covers everything except after 3/36,000 you pay the $100 deductable and are no longer eligible for a loaner car.

The Allison is only under the 3/36,000 plan.

Edited by: hoot

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I stand corrected.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
TheChevyHDMan said:
Im getting nervous here man, I bought this truck to last me a while with minimal costs and downtime....Now Im thinking Id rather sacrifice fuel mileage and operating costs, save myself the cost of a diesel and Ally...and just stuck with a gasser.....Im in bad mood I guess......Im starting to think Diesels aint the way to go no more...... Its either that or I buy myself an LLY.....Which I might do anyways, At least Inj change doesnt involve so much bs.

Bill

Yeah... I'm starting to feel the same way. As much as I love the power of the diesel, especially with a little Juicy Juice, I don't know if I would buy another. I've thought about the LLY also, but to me it's just too big of an unknown at this point. I'm also concerned that GM seems to send an owner on their merry way after injector replacements and doesn't seem to be addressing other possible issues; such as bearing damage. I take very good care of my vehicles and I bought this one to keep until the chrome wears off the bumper not just until the 100K warranty is over.

Tim

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly though,

If I do a landscaping job, and the homeowner/business owner spends 38-50K on the job everything is going to have to be perfect, from install to say when my warranty ends. Even if a problem occurs after my warranty is up, what Am i gonna leave em' out in the cold after they forked out this cash? NO. This person worked hard to make that 38-50K to pay me. And If I do snub em. Think there ever gonna refer me, call me up for future work? Nope Im long gone from the equation

Now look at GM, Ford, Dodge. We work hard to make the money to buy our trucks. And what happens if a problem should arise? Take a number, you'll get your truck back when its done. Meanwhile We lose our money makers for 3 weeks!!!!!!. A compentant mechanic should be able to strip and entire truck off a frame and put it back together in that time. Cant even get 8 Injectors done by then.

All Im saying is we are forking out MAJOR money for these trucks, GM etc should be offering us BJ's and HJ's from the secretary while we wait in the service dept. for that kinda money. Seriously thats a bit much, But GM really should be rolling out the red carpet for us if and when a problem arises. We spend 40K And they wont even give us the piece of mind of replacing all 8 injectors, they really stick it to us by jury rigged crap like that. If my truck needs a handful of injectors and GM wont replace all 8, Ill push the thing off a cargo plane into the Dmax factory.

Bill......Hey Im a bit ticked, went through this kinda BS at Sears a 1/2hr ago

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Here Here

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The "should be offering us BJ's and HJ's from the secretary while we wait in the service dept." statement is what sold me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Two injectors is a handful, better put that plane on reserve. maybe you can get the secratery to be your copilot.
ScottEdited by: Texas Red Wagon

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
tophog said:
TheChevyHDMan for President! You've got my vote.
He's Bill Clinton in disquise

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa now Hoot....Those are fighting words....How could you liken me to Bill Clinton, I outta

Just Kiddin

Anyone own a cargo plane I can borrow?, Ill even wax it when I bring it back......I never even been on a plane....If and when I do, Ill be drunk or on Valium. Cancels me out from flying

Bill

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
TheChevyHDMan said:
Whoa now Hoot....Those are fighting words....How could you liken me to Bill Clinton, I outta

Just Kiddin

Anyone own a cargo plane I can borrow?, Ill even wax it when I bring it back......I never even been on a plane....If and when I do, Ill be drunk or on Valium. Cancels me out from flying

Bill

You were thinking like him

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
"Bill for president, sure just keep packages of Orange Marmalade at his disposal for his adversaries " .....

But seriously you guys are as nervous as a Groom on his wedding day wondering if the future wife will find out "IF" you got that HJ or BJ at your stag in the drunkin state you were in .....

There's no guarantees in life, no guarantees you'll have an injector failure ....
I see people turning up the power as if the general left "US" room for improvement as we see fit ....
I see people concerned on longevity who are smoking their tires like axle splines and u-joints grow on trees .....

So my glass is half full and I'm enjoying it .....
Don't expect GM,Turd or Dopar to pity you, there are plenty of unsuspecting ass to fill those vacant seats ......
Ease the seat back relax and enjoy the ride .....

See you in the rear view =>suckers .....

Mac

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
William,

Do you really expect to keep any truck forever........

I have been thru alot of vehicles in my day, call it what you will but when I get a lemon it's gone
, when I get a good one it's a keeper

If it starts screwing up I show it the door
.....Needs change, so I say roll with it.

Easy to say, hard to do for some if not many.........costs som BLING---BLING to upgrade, depreciation and so-on.

So I say run it till the wheels fall off or trade it in before you need to worry

You could do everything right, pre-filter the oil, diesel fuel, run synthetic everywhere , be a best maintainer of your $40K ride....and some A--HOLE will run a red light and total it, or maybe a tree falls on it.............sorry hoot.

So put up that half full glass........

Enjoy the ride.......life is truly too short to sweat the small stuff.

T
NY

1 - 20 of 24 Posts