Diesel Place banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE: I ran the 2nd bottle of upper injector cleaner yesterday. It pretty much had the same result as the first bottle. About 20-30 minutes into the process the truck stopped smoking. I have not ran enough miles to really see a difference. But I have ran about 50 miles since the bottle was run through. It definitely made it better. I would highly recommend for you all to try this if you are getting the same white smoke. I'm in it for all of about $45. That's with the rubber gas lines, the disconnect tools, and the cleaner. Not bad. And a couple hours of my time. I've seen way more results out of this than anything else I've tried. Good luck

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I wonder that when I change the Cat filter (Nick Tane) instead of prefilling with fuel and use the cleaner if that would work?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I haven't tried the injector cleaner that is mentioned in this thread. A little history on my truck. The original injectors lasted to 199k miles and replaced under the GM extended warranty. The current set have approximately 140k miles on them. About a year ago I started getting the dreaded white smoke at idle. What sucks is my 40 mile commute (each way) to work, an accident can turn my 45-60 minute commute into a couple of hour commute. On one of these stop and go commutes, I was so embarrassed with the amount of white smoke I ended up shutting the truck off and let it sit while I wasn't moving. What did work for me was changing over to B20 diesel. After about the 3rd tank I noticed the amount of smoke was greatly reduced. A tank or 2 later and the smoke was almost gone. In addition, I run 8-10 oz of Diesel Kleen in every tank. A year later and not white smoke.

Good luck to everyone, I hope these tricks work!

-Mark

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I wonder that when I change the Cat filter (Nick Tane) instead of prefilling with fuel and use the cleaner if that would work?
NO!!!

I believe I have stated it earlier (maybe not in this thread, so forgive me if not....). DO NOT PUT IT IN THE TANK (essentially what you are doing when you fill the fuel filter with it- obviously what isn't' used goes straight back to the tank). This is some pretty nasty stuff that apparently has some ill-effects on the rest of the system..... Something that I was told and am going to take faith in as I don't want to be the test gerbil to find out what happens if you do!! I know that Sea-Foam and I think a couple of others have mentioned doing this, and I think you may be all right with them, but NOT the GM cleaner....

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Thanks, I read that in the other thread and found that it could harm my system so I will do it as it was mentioned. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am about to run the Injector cleaner for the third time in 2 years and my question is should I change the fuel filter before or after the process?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reddiesel: I'm not too sure about that. I was wondering the same. I ended up running the cleaner through twice then replacing the fuel filter after the two treatments. However I'm not sure if that was the better route. You would think it's right not to flush all the gunk through a brand new filter. Your call...I can say without a doubt that when it comes to filters, the best way to go is OEM!!! Be it oil, trans, or fuel. Stick with OEM. I've seen a lot of threads around where people are dogging NAPA gold and WIX. There's a reason for that. They aren't any good. Trust me I have been talking to an ex engineer for Allison transmissions. He studied filters for over a year. He did extensive research on them. Always stick with OEM he says. I'll trust him. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've seen a lot of threads around where people are dogging NAPA gold and WIX. There's a reason for that. They aren't any good.
Reddog, you are correct on the Wix/NAPA filters. I posted the first alert to the problem with the newer Wix (NAPA)filters mfg by Wix. The older Wix were actually mfg by Racor for Wix and distributed to NAPA, that was an excellent filter. Wix decided to mfg their own filters and cheapened them considerably by using a lip seal instead of a more robust compression seal that is used on the Racor. When the filter started to get restricted on the old syle compression seal (Racor mfg) the truck would go into limp mode and usually caused the CP3 to start knocking indicating that it was time to replace the filter. The newer style Wix (NAPA) with the lip seal allows unfiltered fuel to bypass the seal when the filter becomes restricted. Filters with the glass fiber housing are usually mfg by Wix, housings that are metal are Racor or China. Racor mfg the A/C Delco and that is the only filter anyone should use other than a Cat filter, which is also very high quality.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Presently I am doing a BG244 cleanse, with a bottle mixed with 30 gallons in my tank. I wonder if it would help if, halfway through the BG244 treatment, a good blast of the X66P Upper Engine Cleanse, run directly into the engine fuel lines via quick disconnect per instructions? Then reconnect the fuel tank and run the remainder of the BG244.

Do you think the mixture will blow it up or combine to super clean the injectors?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anybody ever have a dealer give you a hard time over using the GM cleaner in a diesel? Tried to buy it from the local dealer a few years back. Parts guy casually asked if I was dealing with a gasser...refused to sell it to me. I have since started using Diesel Purge. Works well. No mixing with fuel. I just dumped a few cans in an empty gallon Lucas jug, stuck the hoses in and fired it up. Had my scanner hooked up while it was running. Watched all the numbers changing as it was running. I only put about 5k a year on the truck now, so every October or so I change the oil/filter and clean the injectors prior to changing the fuel filter. Seen the Cat filter mentioned here...have read some less than favorable things about it...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
WHY #7 Again

Did they give you a value for the rate for #3&5?
I understand your question. Mine runs and starts excellent, the only symptoms being smoke at idle when warm and out so spec balance rate on #7 ,anywhere between-4.7 to 5.6 at idle.
Frustrating isn't it
My #7 is 5.3--6.6......again the other 7 are in spec on my Predator( need a new laptop for Efi).
Smoking white and blue at Idle pretty good, can't see it at speed.
I'll have to look but I did all 8, just 2 or 3 Late springs ago.
Just replaced the glow plug relay last month.
Anybody wanna trade for my 9.3 / 1/8 mile truck with the camper top ....Looking for a Dually

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 2003 LB7. I was getting smoke at idle pretty bad and even worse when it's in drive standing still..the injectors were replaced at 120k by dealer and now has 77k on them(I did not own truck when this occured). Over the weekend I did the GM Injector Cleaning, 13 ounces of the Injector cleaner and 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel. After about an hour and a half I shut it off just before the jug ran out, and I noticed a huge difference in smoke already from the beginning to end of the procedure at idle while it was in park. After that I put a new fuel filter in and filled it up with seafoam(found all of these ideas out on this forum). After doing all of these I still notice smoke at idle while in drive but not in park anymore, I checked my injector balance rates after the fact in drive and they are as follows:

1: -.6
2:-.2
3:+.7
4:-.6
5:+2.4
6:+.2
7:-4.3
8:3.3

Does 7 and 8 need to be replaced? Is this what is causing the smoke at idle still? It did throw an FPR code as well, would that cause smoke at idle? It only smokes in drive at idle and throws even more out once I get on the gas a little while taking off then goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Injector Cleaner

Just purchased Stanadyne Injector cleaner. Start running it this week. Second set of injectors so I'm trying to take care of them. Noticed slight fuel knock starting after it sets for 20 min hot. Very light smoke on start then nothing. Other than that it runs great, mileage is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run Heating oil in all my diesel rigs (nothing newer that 2005). I have a 100 Gal tank in the bed of my daily driver. The $41.00 I save in road taxes goes toward Seafoam and Lucas. Always have plenty of throttle response, power, and never an issue...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Went to the dealership here in Canada and they say that product no. does not exist. just curious if it is the same product as here in Canada no. 88861804 (Original post is 88861803) Maybe different no. in the states?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Probably has a different P/N. From what I've seen in the full-service manual for my truck, all the fluids (various oils/sealants/locking agents) have different Canadian vs US P/Ns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just did the procedure on New Year's Eve. Pretty simple process... truck ran nearly 2 hours on a 1/2 gallon. Wow! Anyhow... sounds smoother, more responsive. I'm experiencing some light grey smoke in gear, at temperature. Drove to my parents house yesterday, about a 30 minute drive... smoke was still there. That's what I was trying to cure... didn't fix that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great info. I've got a 2004 LB7 with 96k. Just starting to emit gray/bluishish smoke at idle. I had heard about the injector problems but never really paid any attention to the issue since my truck has never given me any problems over the two years I've owned it. I nearly fell off the couch when I saw the price of a set on injectors. This procedure will be on my list of things to try!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts