Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be a fairly easy question:

There are two connectors on top of the the injection pump - one closer to the radiator and one closer to the intake. Which one is the shutoff solenoid? I'm in the middle of a swap and am not sure which wire was pink and which one was green.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Hmm. Don't know, now that you mention it. Give me a minute and I'll let you know...

Welcome again... :)

Reactions: 91bugoutburb

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Here's a pic that should help. The one more towards the radiator is the shutoff solenoid.

Hope this helps! :) By the way, what are you putting the engine in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thank you! I've been browsing over the last few weeks and your posts seems to answer most all of my questions.

Oh, and the 6.2 is in a 1977 Jeep Cherokee. I'm just finishing things up now.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Glad to help where I can. :)

That should be very cool. I love those. I almost bought one a while back (I was considering it as a replacement for my truck when the 700R4 went out). When you get it done you should post some pics of it... I'd like to see it. :cool2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone i just wanted to first off say that im new here and ive been doing alot of reading on the 6.2 before posting.

I have a 1986 3/4ton that has a 6.2 in it. I got it off my friend that was in the process of converting it from a 350 gas job to a 6.2 diesel. He had the motor in and most of the lines hooked up, but the wiring is a mess.

Im going to run the glow plugs on a manual push button switch with a set of 60g plugs . Right now im tryign to figure out where the wires come that are on the injection pump that are mentioned above?? Where does the shutoff wire come, i would assume it just gets the 12v shut off when the key is off, and what about the cold advance soleniod, where does that wire run to? And lastly where does the fast idle wire go to ?? and can the fast idle be wired to a toggle switch??

Also would anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram online for the 6.2

Sorry if my questions are dumb but im trying to learn as i go along...im new to the diesel platform

Thanks for any help
Erik

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use your distributor/HEI wire to power the shutoff solenoid. Don't worry about cold advance or fast idle. You've probably already found manual glow plug wiring descriptions, and the rest of the wiriing is reused (starter, alternator).

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

The wire to the injection pump shut off solenoid is switched 12V from the ignition. It gets 12V when the ignition is on which holds the shut off solenoid in the on position. If you know which wire was the power wire for the distributor on the 350, you can just hook that right up to the shut off solenoid.

The fast idle and cold advance run off of the same wire. It is also switched 12V from the ignition, but it has to go to a temp switch before it goes to the solenoids so that the fast idle shuts off when the engine is warm (I think the temp switch is on the right cylinder head towards the back, but don't quote me on that since it has been a while since I worked on that system and I'm not 100% sure). The other way you can do it is to simply wire it up to a flip switch so that you can turn the fast idle on manually.

I don't know about the wiring diagram, but somebody on here will be able to help you with that.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the fast replys guys!!!! Well im gonna have to do some testing to figure out what wire do what on the chevy gas job wiring. Its all messed up to begin with.
So i dont have to piss with alot of extra wiring im going to try and run a few things off toggle switchs and push buttons so i can keep the wiring down to a minimum. Im also gonna run aftermarket water temp and oil pressure guages so i dont have to piss with that wiring mess also because i have no clue what sensors do what on the 6.2. I guess a little more investigating will tell in time

So for the fast idle and cold advance i can splice them together and run then to a toggle switch right??? then when the truck is warm i can just flip the switch to off . Also since im runing a toggle switch for the fast idle what amp fuse should i run for that ??

·
Registered
446 Posts
For your cold start wiring you can just tap into the top of the fuse box. if you look at the area above the fuses there is an area labeled Ign. that turns on with your key and is fused in the box. (the pic has green wires there) you just crimp a blade type connector onto the wire and slide it in. (there is a pic of mine... so you get an idea of what im talking about)

as for the gauges after market is a good idea, they will be more accurate then the stock ones. but the stock ones should be easy to spot under the hood. the temp wire has a kinda funny connector end on it that slides over the sender, and it should be a green wire. (the 350 temp sender is between 1&3 cylinders) And the oil pressure wire should be in the back close to the firewall somewhere.

·
Registered
117 Posts
.....run a few things off toggle switchs and push buttons .......
Yeah, but make sure if it is anything high amp (Glow plugs, fuel filter heater) that you use relays, or high amp rated switches, dont start smoking the switches you install!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts