Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Its been a while since I have been on here, but where else do u go when u need good advice :rolleyes:

so I just rebuilt my 6.5 engine. while I was at it, I also replaced the injection pump. I ordered the software from carcode so that I would be able to time the injection pump. the problem I am having is. I don't quite understand the full procedure. I have seen so much information on here about different parts of the procedure but no one stop for all the info from the beginning. base timing? how do u set it (keep in mind my scan tool is carcode) after the base timing there is another adjustment right? where you readjusted to -1.94
in the carcode there is an option for timeset
I am assuming this is significant to the process
I also have learned about the koko procedure I figure that is also significant to the process.

I just need some1 to put it all together for me:thumb:
and finally for the koko:

do u turn key on then depress pedal for 45, release pedal and turn off for 30 or depress pedal then turn key on for 45 the turn key of and release pedal OR it doesn't matter as long as the key is on?

I apologize in advance for what probably seems like dumb questions, I have learned so much about these engines but the timing is a 1st for me to tackle.
I have to check my sig to update my info on the truck but if its not there, I have the heath diesel tune. not sure if that would make any difference in the timing.
I also want to apologize a head of time if I didn't get this post in the right place or went about it all wrong, it took me a bit to figure out how to post, so I screwed something up, let me know and I will try to fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure if my sig is showing so here is some basic info 1998 6.5, 4 inch exhaust, new engine, new injection pump, ecu tune from heath diesel, upgraded radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and fan. turbo upgrade. boost, fuel, exhaust guages

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Welcome to Diesel Place (I welcome everyone with less than 5 posts)......we have requested that your thread be moved to the 6.5L section. You will have all the tech advice you need there.....J&J.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I'll give you a few good steps to start off with. Make sure your pump is bolted up dead level. Solenoid should be perfectly vertical. Absolutely no codes in the computer and the engine temp has got to be over 170 degrees. I'll let the other guys guide you thru the rest.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
This is my cheat note for carcode -

Start Carcode program -
Click Connect then OK
Click Data Tab
Select $05 ECT and click Send
Select $0C RPM and click Send
** ECT must be above 180*F, or TDCO will not be performed until temp reaches 180*F.**
Click Enhance tab, select All, then Click Send
Select GM and click OK, Select Diesel, Select L65 6.5 02, Click OK
After all supported parameters have loaded, select ALL and click STOP, Then
Select IPT and click send, then IPTD and click send, then TDCO and click Send.
Then, LEAVE THIS "GM L65 6.5 02" WINDOW OPEN.
Go to the Main screen and click the Test tab.
It would be advantageous to place these 2 screens
(the Enhanced tests and the GM L65.. screen)
side by side so you can monitor them simultaneously.
Click Enhance and enable device control. Note TDC Learn is now listed.
While monitoring TDCO in the GM L65 6.5 02 window that is still open,
select TDC Learn, click Enable in the Enhanced Tests screen.
Enable activates the TDCO learn process immediately.
When the desired TDCO is achieved, shut the truck down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts