Diesel Place banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice write up. Funny how some things we take as common sense (or for granted) is lost on others.

Good to see this added to the DIY section.
Thanks.Its just a basic write up but hopefully it'll benefit someone down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Do you use some kind of teflon tape or sealant on all the threads_

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Do you use some kind of teflon tape or sealant on all the threads_
I just used some pipe sealant for the radiator fittings (6an 3/8 inverted flare) even though it probably wasn't needed.The AN fittings for the transmission case need no sealer.The case fitting have either an o-ring already on the fitting (depending on application) or a Teflon gasket comes with the fitting for early 4L80E,TH700,400 and 350 transmissions.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thank You

Thank you Sir, very nicely done as a project and write up. Much appreciated. :clap:
I upgraded mine following your examples on my 96 only I went stupid with braided. Always wanted to do that. Advice to others...don't...it's stupid IMHO...unless you're really motivated.
FWIW; Fittings sizes for a 1996 equipped with the Aux. Cooler.
- Aux. Cooler Fittings: 3/8 NPT
- Rad. Fittings: 5/16 Inverted Flare
- Trans Fittings: 1/4 NPS though some 'advice' I got was 1/4 NPT. Either works as in the fitting will thread. NPT stops early and with the female threads not tapered, may not give you the seal. With NPS, be sure to use the type pictured in posts #6 with the washers that create the 'bonded seal'.

Project is looking pretty good though I still have to tighten down and separate the lines at the transmission. Right now they're just threaded on from when I called it a night yesterday. For the detail oriented, the photo at the Radiator was done earlier in the week as a staged photo. I used the pressure line at the top position (red tape for 'Hot' output) as I hadn't made up the actual return line yet.

I still need to secure the lines using the protective hose clamps shown in Post #8. Am I'm seeing that picture correctly in that you ran your lines to the back and then up to the front?

Again, my thanks. It was a good learning experience and I appreciated your write up here and in your build thread.

Attachments

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Thank you Sir, very nicely done as a project and write up. Much appreciated. :clap:
I upgraded mine following your examples on my 96 only I went stupid with braided. Always wanted to do that. Advice to others...don't...it's stupid IMHO...unless you're really motivated.
FWIW; Fittings sizes for a 1996 equipped with the Aux. Cooler.
- Aux. Cooler Fittings: 3/8 NPT
- Rad. Fittings: 5/16 Inverted Flare
- Trans Fittings: 1/4 NPS though some 'advice' I got was 1/4 NPT. Either works as in the fitting will thread. NPT stops early and with the female threads not tapered, may not give you the seal. With NPS, be sure to use the type pictured in posts #6 with the washers that create the 'bonded seal'.

Project is looking pretty good though I still have to tighten down and separate the lines at the transmission. Right now they're just threaded on from when I called it a night yesterday. For the detail oriented, the photo at the Radiator was done earlier in the week as a staged photo. I used the pressure line at the top position (red tape for 'Hot' output) as I hadn't made up the actual return line yet.

I still need to secure the lines using the protective hose clamps shown in Post #8. Am I'm seeing that picture correctly in that you ran your lines to the back and then up to the front?

Again, my thanks. It was a good learning experience and I appreciated your write up here and in your build thread.
bling-bling, and nice work....:thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
some of use are mechanically challenged, just the way we are wired. I am glad to see basic info that as mentioned, is second nature to some. this forum seems to have very good manners from the posting people and in my short membership time appreciated. hj

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
bling-bling, and nice work....:thumb:
Thanks, its been a long year without the truck and only small progress now and again.

some of use are mechanically challenged, just the way we are wired. I am glad to see basic info that as mentioned, is second nature to some. this forum seems to have very good manners from the posting people and in my short membership time appreciated. hj
Agreed. I'm not mechanically inclined, certainly not intuitive. I read, study, build my own instructions, screw it up and start over etc. These lines alone took me the better part of two weeks given time available and waiting for the right parts to come in. I sent back a lot of incorrect ones yesterday 5/16-18 O-Ring fittings, 1/4" NPT fittings, Center Caps from another project ...a whole bunch o' stuff. Thing is to take your time, be patient and take it easy on yourself when you make mistakes. You should see the pile of cut zip ties from just last night and today trying to secure them 'just so.' Oh well, I could be drinking.:HiHi:

Lines are now right and tight.

Thanks again DieselOlds, I wouldn't have had the courage to try without your write up.

Attachments

Reactions: dieselolds

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Thanks again DieselOlds, I wouldn't have had the courage to try without your write up.
Agreed, very nice write up for the layman to understand.

I linked it in DIY and FAQ's a couple days ago. :thumb:

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, its been a long year without the truck and only small progress now and again.

Agreed. I'm not mechanically inclined, certainly not intuitive. I read, study, build my own instructions, screw it up and start over etc. These lines alone took me the better part of two weeks given time available and waiting for the right parts to come in. I sent back a lot of incorrect ones yesterday 5/16-18 O-Ring fittings, 1/4" NPT fittings, Center Caps from another project ...a whole bunch o' stuff. Thing is to take your time, be patient and take it easy on yourself when you make mistakes. You should see the pile of cut zip ties from just last night and today trying to secure them 'just so.' Oh well, I could be drinking.:HiHi:

Lines are now right and tight.

Your more than welcome.You did a fantastic job with your lines.Simply outstanding all around.:thumb:I used the braided line and fittings like yours on our 1978 K20.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Agreed, very nice write up for the layman to understand.

I linked it in DIY and FAQ's a couple days ago. :thumb:
That explains it. I read through the build thread some time ago. Then earlier this month I came back and had to use 'search' to locate it and comb through a few pages to get to the transmission lines. Then a few days later, having failed to bookmark it, it pops right up in Search as first hit.
Thank you.

Your more than welcome.You did a fantastic job with your lines.Simply outstanding all around.:thumb:I used the braided line and fittings like yours on our 1978 K20.
Coming from you, that's high praise in deed. The '78 K20 must have shown the stainless lines off very nice with all the room/visibility in those engine bays. I very much enjoyed your work on the build thread and, like I mentioned, it inspired me to try a bit on my own. :bow:

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the kind words paveltolz:thumb:

I'm glad the build is over and done with.It was a considerable amount of work.And a lot of cash was invested into it but now I have one nice ride that I'm proud to own.It drives perfectly.Absolutely not a single issue.

The 78' does look good with those lines.Lots of room in that engine compartment.I wish trucks were built like that again with plenty of room to do whatever you need to do.Everything nowadays is jammed under the hood.Insane I think is the proper word to describe it.I can't imagine owning a 6.0 or 6.4,6.7 power stroke.Talk about congested.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice write-up! This is something I've been researching heavily after I replaced my leaking radiator and broke an oil cooler hard line in the process. It seems there's no consistent information on radiator oil cooler port sizes. I've researched many write-ups, looked at the parts lists in the aftermarket cooler kits, and have even tried trial and error via buying and returning a lot of fittings.

I noticed on this thread, the size for this port is described as either 6 AN 3/8 inverted flare or 5/16 inverted flare, depending on the year. My truck is a 1983. Does anyone want to guess the correct size for the oil cooler line ports that connect to my radiator? What about for the other end that attaches to the block? Same size?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts