Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
GREAT article. Glad GM is at least acknowleding that some people use additives and not all of them bad. their message is clear, no alchohol in additives. Totally and completely understood and agreed on.

But I just wanted to give a quick story about the emsulifier / demulsifier thing quickly. I live in maine and yes it gets cold here (but not this winter) anyways when i first got my truck in december 04 it was shipped with low fuel. As expected. So when the first cold snap hit, the moisture that had settled out of the full in the tank and found it's way to the bottom of the tank and specifically at the fuel line pick up basin. It froze solid and put me in a no go situation at a funeral in which i was a pallbearer. yeah it sucked. almost got stranded. dealer said that the ice chunk got sucked up into pick up line and stayed there starving fuel line. So they brought it inside overnight and defrosted the thing and bang. good to go. Anyways, after hearing the dealer say ice clog it got me to think about running additives which i did not want to do. so i ran that winter added iso after severe cold snaps maybe 3 times to dry fuel tank and at 7500 miles clogged up at filter. Now i buy my fuel in a private fleet lot that services a full fleet of semi's so if i got bad fuel they would too. they never have a problem ever. turn over in tank is high trust me. so after the second fuel filter and seeing the rust on the bottom of that filter was the last straw. it was spring so i ran ps grey bottle. after 15000 miles pulled filter this fall and cut open NO rust obilously dirtied but definately acceptable. This winter i am running total power and could not be happier with it so far.

Now after reading this service bullitin i have to ask myself to apply common sense about what i read with real world application of the TSB. If the system is designed to filter out water and put it in a seperator. GREAT design. BUT what happens when it is 0 to -20 F and truck sits over night out side like mine does. that water in seperator will and does freeze. So how long until you fill the seperator and it begins to fill in to filter then get sucked into fuel line in a greater quanity then the engin warms up and drefrosts ice? that means you will truely be in a water in fuel situation which will quickly strand you. My number one fear is to get stranded. I carry a filter and all tools necessary to change it but I do not want to ever do this on the side of the interstate at night (with no engine hood light; yes i carry a head lamp too!!!). SO i will stick with the emulsification do to the climate i live in. i would rather have it slowly get run through than have it collect somewhere. If i lived south of here in a climate that never really got below 30 F i would definately follow their recommendation as i do not want to void warrantee.

But like the saying goes opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one. Just my "commn sense" application of what they say.

for the record I LOVE my d max!!!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
No filter or additive will help the krap injectors. I used both and mine failed.

So why bother...........?????????

·
Registered
817 Posts
Great read....well explained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts