Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today at work i tried ordering some more steering shafts for stk at work and gm canceled all my orders they said there is a new bulliten and they don't want us to change the shaft anymore instead they once again want us to lube them but now have a new lube kit avail acording to the newest bulliten i just don't have the # handy but there is a bulliten for cars and one for the trucks
i wonder how long before we go back to replaceing the shafts again glade i got mine done last week

·
Registered
320 Posts
I guess they figure if you pack enough grease in there, your warranty will be up before it dries up and starts banging around again and then they wont have to cover it. I changed mine twice on my escalade and it still made noise after a short time, so I gave up and just lived with it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Im needing my 3rd one now with 35,000 miles !! This is bullsh##t ! Chevy should now by now how to fix this problem and not just shove some grease in there as a bandaid. Sorry for venting........Ugghhh
So IS there a fix that anyone knows or IS the LBZ different?? thanks

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I've got 9,700 miles on my '05 and I've got to take it in for it's steering shaft shake. I would like to put a Borgeson on it if GM would cover part of the cost.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Steering shaft

Mine has a kind of bumping feeling when I turn to the left only. I thought something was loose and took it in to the dealer and they ordered a new one. They called me yesterday to inform me that GM sent a lube kit and I will have it done tomorrow. I have a feeling that the lower shaft is just a weak and poorly designed shaft. I have been told my countless owners of 2000 models and up that the problem exists. GM replaced the shafts for awhile but came to the conclusion that wouldn't fix the problem. So, now it's a blob of grease and send you on your way.... I'll let you know what happens.:rolleyes: If I'm not satisfied I guess I will have to buy one of those aftermarket units that are here on this site.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
what aftermarket pieces are available for the steering clunk/shaft, and where to get them?
Mike L had them for sale but im not sure if he still offers them. Im on #2 and its clunking bad.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I greased mine at 15k and at 77k its still good as new. I think, like I have said a millions times before, that a proper grease job works better then replacing the shaft anyday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I greased mine at 15k and at 77k its still good as new. I think, like I have said a millions times before, that a proper grease job works better then replacing the shaft anyday.
Could you please explain the proper procedure, or is it just a matter of packing it full?

TIA, Pete

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Its just taking the time to make sure that the grease is completely distributed. I think somebody here (gmcsid) posted pics on doing the procedure back in the day for detailed pics. Its just a matter of taking a few extra minutes. Nothing special about it really.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can someone tell how to greese so after warranty i can fix myself

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Can someone tell how to greese so after warranty i can fix myself
The above post #14 shows exactly how to take it out and put it back in. I followed that and just used some molydisulfide grease that I had in a greasegun already. Mine was making noise on all turns and just had a hint of the white grease that was OEM. It's only been a few months but it hasn't made a noise since. Takes about 15 minutes being careful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts