Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
what would you classify as a "Independant" air bag suspension? If you mean if one bag lost air will the other one hold , Yes , as to what happened , nothing ,it sits funny, as to a big camper or tall load on a pickup could be a different story , in that case I would prefer both bags lost air , it is rare for a bag to blow out , mostly they will develop a slow leak in the bag or a failure in the air supply.It also depends on how much room there is to the bump stops as to the degree of lean.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I run independent on my street rod (each bag goes to its own electric valve) I prefer this way especially on corners as you have less roll due to the bags equalizing. It also give you much more control of leveling.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you mean a 4 link with air bags, this is what I ran on my 2001 Duramax and loved it. I haven't started on the system for my 2006 dually yet, that will be interesting.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
STXFARMER, what system did you run , I am waiting for my 06 and really want it on air but am having a real hard time on what system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i meant a 4 link suspension with air bags, but all on their own independats compressors...or is that way overkill?

does anyone have any suggestions of a manufacturer i should use?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used a system that was built by AIM Industries, I had to work with them to get it right, parts were remade by them or modified by me. Kelderman makes a great one but it is pricey, mine was a lot less. I have not started the process of getting one made for my 06 Dually but it will come at some point. I don't see ever running a truck without one again, loved it and it was great for hauling loads. My favorite part was being able to drop the bed when hooking up to the gooseneck or raising it when unhooking. Never had to do much cranking. Had it on manual valve and could switch to a self leveling valve, made life great for us that don't like to work. Can't tell you how many tickets I got out of since the cops wanted to see the suspension on the truck and most of the time gave me a warning. I ran my system with both bags hooked to the same supply, if you want both bags on independent supply the plumbing will be a bit more complicated and harder to keep level. 4 link on a truck is a bit much and you have to keep up with the bushings but I loved it and could haul heavy loads with a level truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Independent is all in the valving and switches, 1-2 compressors is all ya need and a 10-12gallon tank.

·
Registered
565 Posts
the simplest is a 3way valve with 2 10 gallon tanks and 2 compressors. get the compressors to match the tanks for fill time or you will burn them up. I have ran firestones and slam specialtiyes. Defenately liked the slams a lot better. for speed it is the valves and the size of air line that you run along with a nitrogen bottle. the coolest will be to run a small tank and compressor, then have the nitrogen to pump it up with 1/2 in to 3/4 line huge valves 450 gc's dual port slams and an 8 valve set up one for intake and one for exhaust. If you need any help with your rig and sets ups give me a number to reach ya at and would be more than happy to walk you thru and send you all the info on the different stuff to get you in the right direction, for you only want to do this once and if you do it wrong you wont like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts