Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering if anyone out there has essentially chipped or used bigger injectors on a John Deere engine to give it more power? I know there are tuners/chips out there for the 8000 series Deere tractors. Any experience?

We have a 6400 that I'm curious if we can turn up the power on. The 6400 has one of the 4045 4.5L Deere engines. Rated horsepower on the 6400 is 85 hp PTO and I think 98 HP non-PTO...

But interestingly, the 4045 engines are WIDELY used on generators, boats, ditch witches, crawlers, backhoes....everything.

On the Deere website for engines, the horsepower for the 4045 engines is from 74 hp to 173 hp. So what do I have to do to take my 6400 and tweak some more power out of it? Maybe 30 hp more...and more importantly, more lugging torque?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Is the 6400 computer controlled or mechanical injection pump? If it's mechanical then you can just adjust the screw.. I think it must be mechanical because the only 4.5L I see a chip for is the newer 6020 series, 6120 thru 6520.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
6400 should have a mechanical pump IIRC. What trans does it have, since you at the top of the series power wise you will start breaking stuff. How many hours on the machine? Has the power dropped off or are you just needing more?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6400 should have a mechanical pump IIRC. What trans does it have, since you at the top of the series power wise you will start breaking stuff. How many hours on the machine? Has the power dropped off or are you just needing more?
I believe about 6000 hours. Don't need any extra power *yet*...but it would be nice to know how if and when the time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts