Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, I enjoy all the knowledge on this site. Hoping someone else out there has experienced this...2 things

At first start up while the volt meter is still climbing to normal (30-45 seconds), if I lightly press accelerator the truck will have a noticable "shake" like a gasser that's missing on a cylinder. This is before any change in r's on the tach.

Also during idle it seems the engine is "surging" inconsistantly. I can barly see any change on the tach, but hear a noticible change from my straighted exhaust.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Gavin

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would say fuel pressure regulator, if it is surging, do a search on it. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
I'll search threads for the regulator. I will try the filter this weekend and let you know, I think it's been 6-10K have to check my records in the truck. I need to do the free replacement anyway from the TSB.

Anyone else ideas???

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
amp meter is glow plugs on/off
surging idle is pump or pressure reg

Mine does it too........

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The voltmeter is normal. A hot surging idle is one of two things the FRPCV as mentioned above or injectors out of spec.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
surging

my truck does the surging thing also. mostly when she is warming up. about 50-75 rpms. sometimes it takes a while for my volt meter to rise up too. ususally 10seconds at the most. should i replace my fuel pressure regulator? i have a brand new fuel filter, and i run howes in every tank.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My voltmeter takes forever to go up even in the summer i have to drive a ways before it comes up. Both Batteries are new. I was told by gm this is fine but i think its too long. Consider urself lkucky its only 10 secs

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the same thing, surging slightly when cold but not noticable on the tach and the voltmeter will not come up until the glow plugs and intake manifold radiant heater have shutdown usually about 30 seconds after startup. Just because the glow plug indicator goes out doesn't mean they've shut off. they take a lot of power/amps. This is why you have 2 batteries. I had the surging checked out and all is according to spec in other words nothing wrong with the truck at all. If there is a problem with the pressure regulator you'll get any one or more of the following DTC codes "P0087 thru P0092". Mine doesn't surge when it is warmed up as she just purrs like a kitten..............SWH...:cool2:

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts