Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I put my newly ordered filter on. I have a few questions.

Is there anything to do differently, if I want to add an in-bed aux tank later?

How are people putting those tanks in, gravity feed? Transfer pump? Or fuel line switch?

Obviously, I'd like the filter in-line.

But will I need to make any changes to the fuel inlet on the main tank, that would influence a Nicktane filter installation? Is this something I'd want to prep for before installing the second tank?

Note I do not have the stock fuel tank underneath, but a aftermarket 53 gallon tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can only speak for the transferflow, as that's what I have in the bed of my truck.

No. Installing the Nicktane will not interfer with installation of a transferflow in-bed tank. You will install the Nicktane on the outlet side of the truck tank.

To install a transferflow, the truck tank filler hose (between filler cap and truck tank inlet) is cut and the transferflow tank pumps diesel into the filler hose just like you were filling at a station.

·
Registered
288 Posts
LAKEDAISY: I DONT WANT TO CUT INTO OEM LINES , I WAS GOING TO PUT FILTER IN LINE FROM TRANSFER TANK. THIS IS BEFORE FILL NECK SPLICE. MY ONLY CONCERN IS IF FILTER CAN HANDLE VOLUME FROM TRANSFER PUMP. 6-7 PSI, 37 GAL. PER HOUR. I DONT THINK THIS IS A PROBLEM, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bruce. I had thought about doing the same thing, but finally ended up installing a post oem filter. I'm sure you know that if you install the filter between the in-bed tank and the truck tank that you can't fill the truck tank (or if you do, the fuel will not pass through the filter.)

I don't know the volume the filer can pass.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
also,

if you install the filter between the aux and the main tank you will only get 1 pass through the filter. if you install it after the OEM tank you will get some fuel recirculated via the return line so you will get more than 1 pass through it..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lakedaisy said:
Can only speak for the transferflow, as that's what I have in the bed of my truck.

To install a transferflow, the truck tank filler hose (between filler cap and truck tank inlet) is cut and the transferflow tank pumps diesel into the filler hose just like you were filling at a station.

Thanks. That's what I need to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first post to the forum and my first Diesel on order. My question is almost the same, but want install a in-bed tank that feeds to a switchover valve. Will need to install the Nickthane afier that. anyone have this setup? Seems like I might have to run a lot of hose?

Thank You

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
It depends on how you plan on plumbing it. if you want to switch from one tank to the other and not have the aux tank fill your OEM tank then yes, you would have to run a fair amount of hose depending on where you put your valve..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts