Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 6.6 Duramax, 128,000 miles. This morning I started it up, while sitting in the truck, giving it time to flow oil, ect., it died. Died like you turned the key off. I found the 40 amp fuse to the #1 stud burnt, I replaced the fuse, still no start. New fuse didn't burn. Turns over real good, but doesn't hit a lick. Is there some where to look for fuel? My '97 6.5 had a Tee Valve on the front of the motor... ANY suggestions welcome!

·
Administrator
22,667 Posts
I have a 2003 6.6 Duramax, 128,000 miles. This morning I started it up, while sitting in the truck, giving it time to flow oil, ect., it died. Died like you turned the key off. I found the 40 amp fuse to the #1 stud burnt, I replaced the fuse, still no start. New fuse didn't burn. Turns over real good, but doesn't hit a lick. Is there some where to look for fuel? My '97 6.5 had a Tee Valve on the front of the motor... ANY suggestions welcome!
Pump up the primer on the fuel filter head till it gets hard then attempt to start

Reactions: firestopper

·
Administrator
22,667 Posts

·
Administrator
22,667 Posts
Will the truck shut off if there is water in the filter? Triggering the sensor?
To my knowledge, it shouldn't. Is your Water in fuel light on the dash? If so then take a sample of fuel from the tank and place it into a glass jar then let it sit for a while. If there is water in the fuel you should see it in the glass jar.
If water is detected then you need to drain the tank and get fresh fuel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To my knowledge, it shouldn't. Is your Water in fuel light on the dash? If so then take a sample of fuel from the tank and place it into a glass jar then let it sit for a while. If there is water in the fuel you should see it in the glass jar.
Not seeing a light on the dash. I opened the bleed on the filter head, pumped the primer 4-5 times, got fuel. Still no start.
I found the 40 amp MAXI fuse blown, labeled Stud #1. I went and got a new fuse, it hasn't blown the new fuse...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did open the water drain in the bottom of the filter, caught the fuel. No sign of water

·
Administrator
22,667 Posts
I did open the water drain in the bottom of the filter, caught the fuel. No sign of water
Inspect your engine harness for any rubbed-through wire insulation, rodent damage, corrosion, loose connections, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to a fellow I went to high school with, he owns a shop. After some phone troubleshooting, found out I have a leaking fuel filter head. I'm getting air in the fuel. Looks like I will be replacing the filter head. Oh, how I miss that 1966 Cat Dozer, so very simple... Thank You to everyone for your help, Ya'll have been so very kind!

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
819 Posts
If you still have the OEM plastic bleed screw take it out and look it over for obvious damage. Otherwise a head rebuild or replacement would be next. They offer an aluminum bleed screw to ditch that brittle plastic one.
^^This would have no bearing on the blown 40amp fuse but, it would for possible prime loss.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1 Posts
might be the fuel modul, just happened to me or a leak in your fuel filter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts