Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a RV Forum site and read a post on pin weight and looked in to my new 5th wheel. Its weight was 2k, so I got on GM's site and looked at the specs for my 2500HD. Truck weight is 5880 and payload is 3320. 3320? ok when I was in school a ton was 2000, so where does 3320 come in? The GVRW adds up but it just does not make grade.

TC

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question, but it's nice to welcome a local person to the forum.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Wicked, what exactly are u asking?

It's a 3/4 ton truck but it hauls more than double that.

U can weigh the truck on a scale to get true rear axle weight or let me know what options and I see what the factory has for a weight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
3/4 ton is an old classification that no longer means anything. It is not the amount your truck will haul.

9200 (your truck's gross vehicle weight) - 5880 (Chevy's specs of how much a 'basic' truck weighs) = 3320

Your truck will weigh more than 5880 if you have any options. The only way to know for sure is to weigh the truck. Most large truck stops have a scale. Costs about $7-8.00. My truck with 79gals fuel, 5ver hitch and other junk weighs #7900 before attaching the 5ver.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dmax Tim, that is what I was thinking but was not sure why then they call it a 3/4t if it will haul t and a 1/2.

You know funny thing, I was just thinking about it, and I helped a friend take some stuff to the dump this weekend and we got scaled. My in weight was 7960 out was 7900? I was low on fuel so say 6 gal at 7lb would be less than 50 lb added. I wonder if there scale is off. We have some free ones around and next time I pass I will have to weigh in.

<st1:place w:st="on">Lakeside</st1:place>, guess you are right about the old thing, funny I just always assumed 3/4 meant 1500lb and 1t was 2000lb. When someone was talking about there 5th and pin weight it got me thinking. I looked up what mine will be dry and it was 2k. I panicked and looked up the GM site what the truck weights would be. When I started doing the math it did not seem right. I knew it was a 9200 GVWR and with the truck at around 5900 that left a lot more than 1500lb. I was wondering if it was just the way we have always done it or why they don’t put the correct number on it say 7500HD? (t and 3/4)

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
My GMC Dmax/Ally delivered weighing 6400

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
<--- 7120lb - 3500SRW DA CC 4x4 Longbed GMC SLT

American trucks have always been able to haul more than the 1/2-3/4-1ton designators. I guess they got pissed back when the mini-trucks started calling themselves 1/2ton and 3/4ton, and stopped the direct reference to the "ton" rating.

Even GM's posted numbers (which are more than the ton numbers) are pessimistic. I put 2500lbs in the bed of my truck and it didn't even start to faze it. I'm sure I could have doubled that weight safely.Edited by: McRat

·
Registered
244 Posts
My truck is similar to yours. Before I ordered it, the dealer ran a "vehicle details" printout that said it would weigh 6486. I weighed it the day I took delivery and it was 6850 with full fuel. Taking out the fuel it would still be about 200 lbs over what the dealer printout said. Adding the 5th wheel hitch ran it up another 100, and with my unloaded trailer attached the truck weight was up to 8200. BUT, but the time I added my tools and loaded up the trailer and truck bed for a trip, the truck was 50 lbs over gross with my wife and I sitting in it. My pin weight is less than yours at about 1250 lbs. The wife doesn't want to believe me that we can't carry back seat passengers when pulling the trailer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Wick...

My 2004 crew cab weighed 6,850 plus or minus with my 250 pounds in it when I was at the Bow Lake transfer station off I-5 east of Seatac a few weeks ago with an almost full tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts