Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a gazillion posts and I am more confused then when I started.

Currently on my truck I have: Standard NON-TOWING mirrors that are heated and have power adjustment - No turnsignal indicator.

I want to replacement them with TOWING mirrors that are heated and have power adjustment - No turnsignal indicator. I don't feel the need to have the power extending option and don't want to have to add any more switches.

1. Is this an easy DIY plug-n-play type conversion?
  2. Any recommendations on a specific model / brand that will not vibrate while going down the road?
I don't want to spend a fortune on mirrors as I do not tow very often but we are moving up into a larger camper from a pop-up style. I now need to have towing mirrors but want something that works well for a daily driver.

I think I've got it narrowed down to Either the CIPA's or the Lucerix X-mount's. The TTT's are too much for my budget.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just get the 2006 truck towing mirrors, they are plug and play for your 2005.
There are lots of photos on the "Place", of the 2006 towing mirrors, a lot less in price than the TTT ones. I read in a post somewhere on the "Place", that GM direct had lowered the price a few dolllars, to about $ 379 a pair.
The 2006 mirrors are power adjust, heated and have the signals in them, you have to manually pull them out though.:grd:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have the CIPA's which are power and heated. Initially, hard to get used to the look over the smaller stock mirrors. However, when towing or just regular in-town driving, they provide much better visibility. I drove my friends '03 with those crappy power extendable OEM mirrors and it seemed like they vibrated a lot and the glass didn't seem real clear to me.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have the CIPA's (or maybe Bestop's) and love the size of the glass. I have no vibration problems and they are wide enough for what I need. They measure 104.5" to the outside edges of the glass for anybody that is interested. The TTT's are wider (108") but cost alot more.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the CIPA's which are power and heated. Initially, hard to get used to the look over the smaller stock mirrors. However, when towing or just regular in-town driving, they provide much better visibility. I drove my friends '03 with those crappy power extendable OEM mirrors and it seemed like they vibrated a lot and the glass didn't seem real clear to me.

Where the CIPA's hard to switch out?

Sure sems like there would be less wind-drag with the CIPA's opposed to the 2006 OEM mirrors or the TTT's as the CIPA's are smaller.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They were plug and play. Bolted right up and plugged right into the OEM connection.

·
Registered
214 Posts
skoryaro2,
if you go with the CIPA's there is a place right by Romulus that sells them
http://www.rpminnovations.com/
ive bought two sets from a girl named January for $298.95 a set.

if you go there let me know if she looks as good as she sounds on the phone.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
skoryaro2,

Thanks! - I will. With a name like January I'm guessing there's a hippy look going :)

On edit: I just went to that website. They have changed location to Harrison Twp. about 5 minutes from where I work. I will be stopping by in the next few days.

How long ago did you buy them - they list for about $50 more on their site? Did you haggle?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Donnie 1,

That site is a good source for info also. You can download their install directions for those who are wondering about the level of difficulty.

I've been doing some measurments of different mirrors. If anyone is interested - below are the measurements from the mirror mount to the outside of the mirror assembly in the non-extended position (straight out):
  1. GM 2006 style mirrors = 18"
  2. My Stock GM standard non-towing mirrors = 12"
  3. Ford style mirrors = 13"
  4. CIPA GM towing mirrors = 19" (not measured -as per their spec sheet only)
The CIPA's would add an extra 14" +/- to the widthe of my truck.

As you can see the CIPA's are way out there. I'm wondering about wind resistance and propensity (sp) to smack them on something :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
skoryaro2,

I stopped in their office today. Nothing really to talk about - no displays and just a woman taking orders with inventory support staff. "January" does not work there anymore :(

They want $399 + shipping for the heated electric. They will price match any website offer and I can save $25 a mirror on shipping by picking them up.

I'm gonna check with a few of our supporting vendors here to see if I can get a comparible deal before I order them.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stopped in their office today. Nothing really to talk about - no displays and just a woman taking orders with inventory support staff. "January" does not work there anymore :(

They want $399 + shipping for the heated electric. They will price match any website offer and I can save $25 a mirror on shipping by picking them up.

I'm gonna check with a few of our supporting vendors here to see if I can get a comparible deal before I order them.
Looks like very few of our vendors carry mirrors. I looked at about half of their sites and only found 2 that did and couldn't find anyone who carries the CIPA's. There's got to be better way to search for products from our vendors - I don't know what the answer is though.

FWIW Summit Racing is the best deal I found so far at $332 for electric / heated. They are about $100 cheaper than the others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts