Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys....
being the complete idiot that i am, i got home last night and plugged in my truck. Overnight low was 11 degrees. The problem was when i plugged in my truck i left the key at the "on position" (fan running, cd player going, engine not running). The fan was on high defrost for about 10.5 hours. I got out to the truck this morning, noticed that the truck was at "on" and the truck will turn over just fine but won't fire. Any ideas???????? God i'm an idiot.

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
162 Posts
Give it a shot of ether that always helps haha

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The RPMs have to get to 140 on the starter, or it won't start. Is it turning over slow? I would charge the batteries for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's turning over just like it normally does. no problems with that at all. i figured that the batteries would be dead with the fan running all night, but the truck turned over just like it normally does. just over 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank. only got down to 10 degrees last night, and fuel is rated for -20.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on normal operation when i have the truck plugged in over night and go out to start it, the glow plug indicator on the dashboard doesn't come on if the truck has been plugged in. when i went out this morning to start the truck i noticed that when i turned the truck to the on position ( i turned the truck to off after it'd been at on all night, and then tried to start it) the glow plug indicator came on for about 2 seconds, even though the truck was plugged in. like i said, the truck was plugged in, but the key was at on. god, just when i thought i couldn't get any dumber, i go and do something like this!!!! i'm going to try and charge the batteries all afternoon, add ether to the gas tank and check the fuel filter for anything looking not right. i appreciate any input anybody else has. i'm not very diesel engine savvy.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
You may try disconnecting the batteries for a little while. If there's a glitch or something from being on all night..it should clear it up.

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Sounds stupid, but charge the batts and prime the fuel system. It will probably start right up. Jumping it won't help, you'll have to throw a charge on it.......even if it sounds like it's cranking normally, it probably isn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ive had my fuel system loose prime overnight a few times. Just use the hand pump on top of the fuel filter. Pump it till it gets hard to pump and try to start it. Ether isnt always a very good idea.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
And DO NOT USE THE EITHER!

Just follow all the instructions above, except the either, you might blow the intake off of the engine.

Either comes in contact with the Intake Air Heater, equals KABOOM!

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you turn the key over to the on position and watch your dash, does the security light come on and then go off or does it stay on? May have it locked out. Do not use ether.

·
Registered
746 Posts
And DO NOT USE THE EITHER!

Just follow all the instructions above, except the either, you might blow the intake off of the engine.

Either comes in contact with the Intake Air Heater, equals KABOOM!
Thank you for saying this. Not only do you have to worry about the intake air heater but you also have to worry about the glow plugs. I know a guy who blew the tips off 2 low plugs when the ether igniteg before it was supposed to. STARTING FLIUD IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA ON ANYTHING WITH GLOW PLUGS. Just my $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts