Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a RHG6 on there 6.5? How about any garrets? GT35, 37, 38?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no takers? how about any hy35's? tossing around the idea of trying out a quicker spooling setup

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah for sure, well it's settled then. got an he351, hopefully i'll get it on this weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done! Man if I was a mechanic this would be a hell of a lot easier! thanks for the input fellas!

·
Just add Fuel
548 Posts
Sorry for the lack of reply. I don’t have enough experience with different turbos to help you out much.
So, how do you like it?
Looking at the specs in the stickies, it looks like this has a turbine housing similar in size to the GM-X turbos. Do you notice any difference?
Are you manual or auto trans?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the lack of reply. I don’t have enough experience with different turbos to help you out much.
So, how do you like it?
Looking at the specs in the stickies, it looks like this has a turbine housing similar in size to the GM-X turbos. Do you notice any difference?
Are you manual or auto trans?
Yes a significant one actually! Couldn't be happier, spools about as fast as a gm8 but flows more and pushes good bit more power then the hx35 I swapped it for. It's only a 9cm2 exhaust housing so it spools super fast but its what I wouid call a hybrid exhaust housing because it goes straight into a 4 inch exhaust vband no bends, weird shapes or restrictions, I actually custom made a 4 inch down pipe out of schedule 40 because I was afraid that reducing it to 3 inch right away would spike my drive pressure. It also has a 4 inch inlet which I didn't want to restrict so put a 4 inch uni on it. My egts are significantly lower (I expected higher but was willing to sacrifice for quicker spool up) Iats are lower, cruising boost is lower, and power, low end and high end are way up which I never expected. I'm running pretty much stock boost levels and barely more than stock fuel, no tune and shes a whole different truck than stock. She pulls just a bit stronger than my good buddy's bone stock lb7! BTW Cruising boost is at 2-3 psi 60-65 down from 4-5 with hx35 and 5-6 with gm8. Cruising egts at 60 is down to 340ish range from 400-450 and I haven't even touched 1000 yet and im not very easy on her and only hills where I live. Shes 8100 lbs without me or any tools in it so she always has a load.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0-60 with the hx was 14 seconds, i'll do a run tomorrow and see what is now, I was trying to meet up with the previous owner of a edge monitor I bought to unlock it so I log info on that but haven't yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
auto trans

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was this an HE351CW? What ar is the exhaust housing? You said 9cm so I could probably look it up but I'm too lazy😀. Are you running an intercooler or what did you do about the 90* angle on the compressor outlet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes its a CW. A/R is .65. I thought the 90 was the easiest part of the swap, the hard part was figuring out my downpipe not wanting to reduce smaller than 4 inches, glad I spent the extra time on that though. Yeah I'm running an intercooler so the 90 degree compressor outlet actually made it easier to tie into my intercooler piping (than the hx35 I swapped out) once I clocked the outlet pretty much straight down. I was never happy the way I tied the hx into the piping, I was always changing something, I was about fab up a vband setup for it but never got around to it. I could post pics but there's nothing about my build that's pretty lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts