Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and have searched on the ignition switch and not found anything.

The Truck - 2003 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison trans. It has had injectors replaced about 7 months ago, but I don't recall how many or which ones.

The Problem - Occasionally the truck will die when accelerating at high speeds (getting onto the freeway for example). You have to pull over and stop before the truck can be restarted.

The dealer is saying the problem is due to the ignition switch and not under warrantee, $270 bucks. Does that sound right? It seems weird that an ignition switch would cause the engine to die when accelerating?

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I doubt it is the ignition switch but it's pretty hard to disgnose without the proper tools.

If it was the ignition switch it would do it at any time, idling etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Does the service engine light come on when this happens? If so take it somewhere and find out what code it throws and then post it on here for additional help.
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ignition Switch i dont think. if it was the Ignition Switch i think you would have problems starting it sometimes so do you have problems when you turn the key to start it and it does nothing that would be a Ignition Switch problem not dieing under acceleration

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
any one know what that code is for

·
Registered
847 Posts
The ignition switch went out on my 02.No codes at all just cranked and cranked,wouldnt start.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Does the Electronic Break Control Module have anything to do with the ignition switch?

-Lance
I don't think EBCM is a Brake Control Module. But there are so many control modules on these things I can't say for sure what it is.

I thought the ABS was the only module dealing with brakes.

There is a body control module and an engine control module (ECM?).

If you can't get the help you need here, try the Ask the Techs section. They will know exactly what that module is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked the truck up yesterday after they put in a new ignition switch. Today the engine died on the freeway when the stop and go traffic opened up and I accelerated. I'll try reposting in the tech section to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
did you have to pay for it if you did take it back and tell them that the switch was not the prob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took the truck back the same day (1-18-06) and just got the truck back last night (1-24-06). This morning on the freeway everything cut off again. Nothing like having your truck shut down while at 65 in the middle lane on the freeway. I had to coast over to the shoulder and put the truck in park to restart it. I don’t know how I made it without getting rear ended. At this point the truck is not safe to drive.

When I returned the truck the second time I questioned why I should be paying for an ignition switch when that did not correct the problem. The costumer service rep just commented that it could be part of the problem. To top it off he then started up the truck and said, “See, it starts up just fine”. The problem is not starting the truck, the problem is everything cutting out when you are cruising down the freeway!

At this point we do not want to take the truck back to the same dealer and we cannot safely drive the truck. The truck is still under warranty (~90,000 miles). Does anyone have any recommendations for a dealer in Orange County besides Foothill Ranch Chevrolet?

Thanks
-Lance

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
GM has it towed to the closest dealer when they have to have a vehicle towed at their expense. I would pick the dealer I wanted to look at the truck and get the truck real close to that dealer and call GM, they will have it towed there and not to the dealer you bought it from.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the samething happen.

Camshaft sensor, and re-route said wires.

Ben there done that. I really sucks when it happens at the worst times.

Problem all gone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Got talked into taking it back to the same dealer… ugh.

They were able to duplicate the problem twice and want to replace the ECM for $1100. They still can’t guarantee that it will solve the problem. The truck only has 90,000 miles on it.

-Lance

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Are you seriously paying $1100 for an ECM? You can get one for a fraction of that cost. If this is out of your pocket it's time to evaluate things here. There are quite a few good duramax mechanics in Cali that are going to be much better at diagnosing this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just read a thread that included the ECM under the 100,000 warranty. Does that sound right? Unfortunatly the warranty book is in the truck right now.

-Lance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts