Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was cleaning my truck and found my floor sopping wet behind the drivers seat. I started to look into the possible cause and found where the water is coming from. It appears that someone at GM forgot to install the rear "Pressure Relief Valve" for the cab. The worst part is my 2-year old son kept saying I smell something, and I also would smell fumes in the cab once in awhile. This all caused buy a missing $17.00 part.

Anyway took it to the dealer and they ordered the part it. I spent the evening pulling up the rear seat and drying the carpet and sound deadening mat for 3 hrs.

Here are some pictures of the location. Missing Pressure Relief Valve Photos

Oh and I still love my truck

·
Registered
349 Posts
Voodoo- Sorry about your problem. Pretty serious when you think about the fumes. Was the hole punched in the cab wall? Is that why the floor was wet? I'll be sure to inspect mine when it gets here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like you might of got a truck built on a Friday or a Monday?Thanks for the info I will be sure and look at mine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maynard9089 said:
Voodoo- Sorry about your problem. Pretty serious when you think about the fumes. Was the hole punched in the cab wall? Is that why the floor was wet? I'll be sure to inspect mine when it gets here.

If you fold your rear seat down and lift a small flap against the cab you will see a black air duct, that goes to the outside of the cab. My duct was there but the releif valve was not. The valve has a rubber seal (like a check valve) to allow air to exit when you close your doors etc.. but keep water and some air out of the cab.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Timing is uncanny... last night I had my fingers in mine to see if I could get an air hose through it. Mines there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Voodoo

I would of had the dealer dry out your carpets, I think for 40G a carpet detail should of been offered to you !

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't want to sit overnight that way since it was 4pm when I brought it by for them to look at. Plus I'm so darn picky about my truck I wanted it right.

Anyone know how that part is installed? I would guess it just snaps in some how.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Tell them you saw black mold under the carpet. They will hazmat your truck and you'll get a new one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah but then you would have to swap out that beautiful lift kit. Not worth it. I'd try for a new carpet though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The pressure relief valve probably blew out due to the high altitude of your truck kind of like the pressure in an airplane.
Edited by: Blue Max

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>All the cab configurations have these vents, they used to put them in the doors, don't know why they put them in the back of the cab but they do.</DIV>
<DIV>It's part of GM's flow through ventaltion.</DIV>

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Voodoo,

Thanks for the information. I have also noticed diesel fumes in my CC--only while stopped at a light --or even right when I start up.

I will check to see if mine is there.

Ron

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with maynard9089. The dealer should get you new carpet. It's going to take you an entire summer (or longer) to get the entire cab dried out. As someone with asthma, I also would make a fuss about mold, too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That pressure relief valve basically has like some rubberized/felt flappers in it. I pushed the coax for my CB antenna through mine and mounted the antenna in the stake pocket directly behind the cab.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I did get the carpet all dry, it was only under the rear seat on the drivers side. I un-bolted the rear seats and lifted them, I was able to then put a fan and hair dryer to it. It took a few hours but was well worth the time it took. I'm happy it's dry now. I have tape over the vent outside untill that part comes. I'm going to have them note on the R.O. that if smells I want it replaced.

Blue Max,

Maybe they have an Aircraft grade vents for me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think these cab vents are great. At least I dont have to roll down my window to close my door like I have to in my 98 Cab/Chassis.

LarsonM, I ran my coax for my Cb through the vent also, But found it alot cleaner looking bringing through the headliner to the High mounted stop light. AT least cleaner looking if running a roof mounted antenna.

My brother once bought an S-10 in 1988 That had GM badging on one side of the truck And GMC badging on the passenger side. I guess were all just human.

Bill

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I went to get the part put in and all the parts were not ordered I guess. The dealer called GM and they are unsure of what parts are needed or missing. Anyone have a picture of the parts needed?

My dealer is doing all they can, GM just has no clue. Putting tape over the vent is getting old.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm running my XM antenna cable thru the vent on the PS. We had the first rains in SoCal since I got the truck in Nov '01 (!!!) and my carpet was wet back there. Apparently the truck was parked facing downhill and the cable kept the vent open and fed water in.

I'm going to change my cable routing to come in thru the high mount brake light and silicone it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
socaldmax said:
I'm running my XM antenna cable thru the vent on the PS. We had the first rains in SoCal since I got the truck in Nov '01 (!!!) and my carpet was wet back there. Apparently the truck was parked facing downhill and the cable kept the vent open and fed water in.

I'm going to change my cable routing to come in thru the high mount brake light and silicone it.

It's amazing how much water get in there
. I want to wash my truck but it's more work to keep the water out than wash the beast

1 - 20 of 32 Posts