Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and have done some searches etc but need the real info so here goes. I have a 2001 Duramax and yes when it gets cold outside occasionally I'll step on the pedal with no/little power , I run all types of additives with no success in getting rid of this. I do however have a GMC Topkick with the Cat 3116 that had all of the start and stall problems I see on this site and replaced everything including the injectors/o-rings/new hoses etc. without a cure until I added a lift pump from a '99-6.5 and guess what - not a problem since. I always thought the Duramaxes had a lift pump !! so I plan on putting one on right away so here is what I need answered.
1- Do these trucks have no liftpump in them ?
2-Which line is the supply line for fuel (I am assuming it's the large one)
3- Is the fuel cooler required ?? If not I am tearing it out !
Thanks.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
It does not have a lift pump. You could go to the search tab in the upper right corner and do a search on lift pump, a lot of people put them in but they are usually running some kind of power mods first.
I've never heard of anyone taking out the fuel cooler, I wouldn't recommend it especially during summer temps. I live in a cold climate and don't have a problem with the fuel cooler.
Fuel supply line is the large one. Check out some articles in the DIY section and there should be some examples of pre fuel filter installations with pics. of the fuel lines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The fuel cooler is for your turbo. It cools your fuel down to give you more horse and torque.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for the quick replies , they answered my questions. I know most people don't put in lift pumps and I wouldn't even had thought of it except for my Topkick experience and how well it fixed everything wrong with just one little pump. I noticed most of the quick connects are loose so it is probably getting air in the system and any amount of air would damage the high pressure pump due to cavitation. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts