Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of people say they think the Cummins is a great engine, but they just hate that it comes in a D**ge. A lot of the guys with F**ds say they wish they could get their truck the Cummins. Of course, I guess that makes sense, with the mucho problems they're having with that new Powerstroke. But the Duramax seems to be a lot more reliable, so I wonder if any of the Duramax guys think the same thing. If you could get the nice Chevy truck, with everthing the same, including the Allison, but option for the Cummins instead of the Duramax, for the same money, how many would do it?Edited by: Brake_Torq

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I don't know. After owning my Duramax for almost a year, I think I would stick with the duramax. A year ago it's hard to say.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I work on a lot of diesel trucks. I would say if i had to haul monster loads to the point of abuse on a regular basis , Yes. I have a company that hauls boats across the country and all their trucks are Dodge. They average 20 to 30 thousand pounds per load and the CTD handles it well. The trucks on the other hand do not. They have some weird problems and dealers are of no help. (that sounded familiar) I bought my Duramax for fun and for testing , and i don't doubt that it could handle anything i could throw at it. Looking at the CTD crankshaft makes you respect the motor, it's as big as my leg, maybe bigger.

mike

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had the best of both worlds from 1984 until I sold it in 1993. A 84 GMC 1 Ton 4X4 CC Dooly with a Case Cummins 6BTA installed by Cummins Las Vegas - the 6BTA came out before Dodge came out with the Cummins. In over 300,000 miles of use, many towing 43' gooseneck enclosed car hauler with 3 Porsches in it, the only engine problem that ever developed was the throttle cable fell out of its holder outside of Reno at 3am. Ran a Turbo 400 trans with dual Gear Vendor OD's - truck was awsome power (massaged by Cummins Las Vegas quite a bit), never ran hot, but I had a tough time keeping transmissions in it. Tore out a torque converter every 40,000 or so - got so we changed torque converters at 30,000 and didn't blow again. I doubt the Duramax will be as trouble free (has been for the first 60,000) for 300,000 miles nor as cheap to operate. The 84 got 18 mpg unloaded and a solid 13 mpg when you towed heavy. The D/A rides a lot better and is a LOT quieter, but doesn't have the towing guts in stock form the 84 did as massaged. The 84 is still running at over 500,000 miles pulling horse trailers and hay trailers and I have been told he still hasn't touched the engine. Favorite: D/A if no injector problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To tell you the Truth, I had more problems with the 98 D***e I had. In the first year I had it in the shop 3 times, it would loose throttle responce. Finally after I almost got hit they were able to figure it was something to do with the TPS. I havn't had my Duramax in for anything. I beleve the Duramax does a better job pulling my 28 ft. 5er. But a lot of that is due to the Allison Tranny.Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
274 Posts
I LOVE THE D-MAX! It is the reason the others had to re-think their Diesel engines. It proved that GM IS a player in the HD Truck market.

2 years ago I would have said no way would I take the Cummins! It was just too loud for my taste. However now that they have come out with the "600" with loads of power, torque, and it is quiet!

On the down side, I hear the "600" has taken a hit on fuel economy.
That was one thing the Dodge boys used to brag about. I don't think the Cummins is perfect, But it is a great engine!

Yes, I would take the Cummins if it were available with an allison in the GMC, But it would be a VERY CLOSE RACE.

·
Registered
868 Posts
New Cummins with an Allison.....absolutely!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've heard all this balony about Cummins towing better but how? The h.p./torque that come off a dyno are real measure of avail. energy that the engine can supply. Do the numbers, the only advantage I can see is the Cummins makes it down lower, funny that GM just brought the max torque down two hundred rpms. The Cummins seems to have a clear advantage with hop ups.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would have gone with the Cummins. Track record means a lot, and face it, Cummins has a long track record. Love the Dmax, but we don't know how it will handle the extended miles.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
That's a good question but at what point? An older version of the 5.9 would be really nice for towing yet out of place in a quite GMC. The "new" Cummins with the Bosh rail is nice...but there again it's "new" to injectors as well. The "new" Cummins (meeting tier II compliance) fires "3" times per stroke and sucks fuel without an EGR.
So, to answer your question........ New 04 Iszzu Duramax Vs~ New 04 Cummins......... I'll go with the V-8 for 2 pulses, wider powerband and .... it sits in a much nicer truck.

Burner---------->

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I haven't had the opportunity to drive the latest cummins, but from the previous versions if the new one is simailar I'd have to say no way! I found the others slower than mollasses in start and stop driving and since my truck is my daily driver that's no good. They have improved the noise level thankfully so that would help. But since my D/A has been good and is fairly quick I have no reason to wish for the inherantly slower inline 6.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a '99 5-speed 3/4 ton Dodge that was a great pickup but for the limited slip and the front suspension. I had an Edge on it just as I do on my 3/4 D/A with the flatbed doing the same farm/ranch work and I know the Dodge would outpull this D/A. It had a manual but load it down and it had LOTS of guts down low. I was just telling a neighbor the other day how much I love driving my D/A but if I could put a Cummins in it I think Chevrolet would have the perfect pickup.

So, I'ld go Cummins

·
Registered
511 Posts
If I walked into a Chevy or GMC dealership to order a new truck, & the saleman asked if I wanted the Duramax or the Cummins in it, I don't think I could turn down the Cummins. I came REALLY close to buying a D**ge with the Cummins in January, but I just couldn't talk myself into buying a truck made in Mexico. Plus, after 238,000 miles on my 2000 Chevy 2500 (6.0 gasser) with only replacing the water & fuel pumps & the alternator, (& that was after 200,000 miles) how could I not buy another GM truck?!
I should have 60,000 to 70,000 miles on the new LB7 by the end of the year though, so hopefully by then, I'll have changed my mind & would order a Duramax over the Cummins the next time. Sounds like I better get that secondary fuel filter ordered though!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd take a 12valve Cummins with the 6-speed any day, even if it was $1000 more than the duramax. If the duramax was an inline 6 with the low RPM torque of the cummins then I'd reconsider.

With the automatic I don't doubt the duramax is the better of the two engines performance wise with it's longer torque curve and the transmission will keep the RPM's in the peak range but I hate driving a diesel engine near redline. Drive a cummins with the stick and you'll see what low end torque is all about. You don't ever need to go past 2000rpm no matter what you're pulling.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would have to go with the Cummins, a lot heavier bottom end. I like my Duramax, but have really not had one long enough to take it over the Cummins.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Like I said.......for heavy towing I'd pick the Cummins. For all other applications I'd pick the Duramax.

...... I wonder...... if Cummins and Iszzu use the same injector... Could you put 2 pulse injectors or program the 3 pulse for 2 or 1? If it could be "programmed" for only one pulse the MPG would be GREAT!!!

Burner----------->

·
Registered
30 Posts
I loved the cummins in my 99 dodge. Decent mileage, and even better if you had the stick. However, I just talked to a fellow with a brand new 2004 dodge with the cummins 600 and he is extremely unhappy with the mileage. He said that he is getting 10-12 mpg in town unloaded and the best he has gotten is 15mpg on the freeway. Sounds like dodge/cummins have a real problem.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Caterpillar/Allison sounds good to me too.

Maybe a 3406E 15.8 Litre, 600HP, 2050ftlb of twist your driveshaft into a pretzal torque.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts