Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is for the cummins guys. If GM purchases Dodge ( wich is in the works right now) would you still purchase a Dodge truck with a CUMMINS MADE by GENERAL MOTORS?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess I don't understand your post... If GM buys Dodge then the Dodge division will most likely continue to build trucks much as they do now... It is the profitable segment of their current business model.

Not much should change. Cummins Engine Company will undoubtedly continue to supply engines to Dodge no matter who the parent company is, much like when they were bought by Daimler. The investment and brand recognition is too high for them to dump it now. Besides, although I don't own one, the Cummins/Dodge is a very proven combination with many owners who would not even consider something else.

So what is the question exactly? Would I buy a Dodge if Dodge was owned by GM? No, I wouldn't. Same as not buying a Dodge while Dodge is owned by Daimler-Benz.

Would I buy a GMC with a Cummins? Maybe, but even though I am a Cummins certified service tech, for now I am happy with my Dmax.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
General Motors has NOTHING to do with Cummins.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a diehard dodge guy, I might buy a gm with the cummins. It would depend on my assessment of the truck around the engine and the rest of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ABSOLUTELY. Ladies and Gentlemen, the perfect marriage could happen. The Bad *** Cummins Diesel married up to an Allison Tranny. No way it could get better than that.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
mydeuce;1598591; said:
ABSOLUTELY. Ladies and Gentlemen, the perfect marriage could happen. The Bad *** Cummins Diesel married up to an Allison Tranny. No way it could get better than that.
Not hardly?????????????The Duramax, gets better milage...more hp...more tq. Gm is not buying dodge!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
03LB-7dmax;1598606; said:
Not hardly?????????????The Duramax, gets better milage...more hp...more tq. Gm is not buying dodge!
If GM buys Dodge they will still keep building Dodge trucks the Dodge way and GM trucks the GM way. And it gets much better than Cummins/Allison, It is the Duramax/Allison combo that is kicking butt!:p:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If it ever happened it would make the most sense for the GM owned Duramax and Allison to find their way into the Dodge. Versus paying Cummins and Aisin for their components.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
gm is not buying dodge.
but for the sake of argument...lets say gm buys dodge...guess what, the cummins contract is null and void...and will never end up in a gm product.
beyond that, lets say for that argument, NO, i would never buy a truck i plan on doing any type of work with that has IFS. gm's IFS would crumble under the weight of a cummins.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
So many questions???

I wonder in what ways would the Dodge truck change? Does that mean the Dodge would get a Duramax with an Alli?
Does it keep the solid axle or get IFS?

So many new questions to be answered...

If GM does buy dodge, I wonder if prices will change at all. Once GM owns two of the major truck companies...Prices goin up?

Are we starting to see a monopoly trend starting here???:eek:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would think that if the Govt Approved of a merger of #2 and #3 they would make each company shed off Certain Lines and Brands. As far as the UAW goes 1 of their top guys is on the Board Of DCX so they would be for GM/Chrysler since it would be American Owned Once Again. Also think that If Gm does not buy Chrysler who will ?????? Toyota, Nissan or maybe even Fiat or Honda. We are for sure gonna see a consolidation of Automotive Industry along with the Airline Industry since at one time they were the Biggest $$$ makers in the American Economy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The jist of my question is this, IF GM purchases CHRY-CO would a die hard DODGE / CUMMINS owner buy a dodge truck built by dodge while dodge is a subsiderary of GM. Assuming that new dodge products would share some of GMs parts and engineering.

The talks are prelimenary, probably wont happen since there is very little that CHRY-CO can bring to the table to offset the existing debt. Would be a shame to see CHRY- CO owned by China though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
IROCDave;1599344; said:
The jist of my question is this, IF GM purchases CHRY-CO would a die hard DODGE / CUMMINS owner buy a dodge truck built by dodge while dodge is a subsiderary of GM. Assuming that new dodge products would share some of GMs parts and engineering.
That would be a big assumption. Not much changed when Daimler Benz entered the picture, at least not initially, Have to assume the same would happen with new onwer. Remember, these companies are owned so far above design and engineering levels that it would not be another division of GM like Chevy/GMC are, but an entirely seperate product group. Kind of like GM's Hughes satellite division.

Corporate accounting is a mystery to all, so who knows what is happening. I'll say this though, I would rather see Dodge/Chrysler bought by GM than have it sold off in pieces killing the brand, or bought by chinese corp.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cummins contract is up right now.. did anyone hear if it actually got resigned?? And I agree.. cummins aint shi* to the D/A.. look how much work those poor fellas do to their trucks just to push the truck to pull or tool around town.. we spend 700 on efi live, or 1200 on PPE and we blow them out of the water....

Still rocking strong in the DMAXs

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
porterz;1599906; said:
Cummins contract is up right now.. did anyone hear if it actually got resigned?? And I agree.. cummins aint shi* to the D/A.. look how much work those poor fellas do to their trucks just to push the truck to pull or tool around town.. we spend 700 on efi live, or 1200 on PPE and we blow them out of the water....

Still rocking strong in the DMAXs
cummins contract did get re-signed, they are supplying the engines for the 4500 and 5500 series trucks...also for the regular pickup segment also.
both the d-max and cummins need NO mods to effectively pull anything youd pull on the street.

i'm m not sure as to what mods you sonsider NEEDED to pull a sled...

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
whatever you dodge guys are all alike, ya'll just can't cut the mustard anymore. Why do we want your out of date cummins anyways. If i want a motor that is as slow as that and beats itself to death i'll get in my tractor. It was and still is a great motor ,but times have changed this is not 1989 this is 2007 and that strait 6 has been passed. and farther more my ifs is holding up just fine and riding a hole lot smoother to so if you want to drive your strait axle road wagon more power to you!!!!! (and by the way I hope to God we don't by dodge,why would I or any other GM man wan't to give up the power and torque of a DURAMAX with that aaaalllllssssoooommmm ALLISON !!!!!!!! how sweet it is)

·
Registered
445 Posts
when I said pull I meant just doing normal tugging.. trailering anyway..

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Id love a cummins, sfa, allison in gm cab and chasis (for quailty (no sweeks etc). never happen but would be my dream.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
v8440;1598589; said:
As a diehard dodge guy, I might buy a gm with the cummins. It would depend on my assessment of the truck around the engine and the rest of the drivetrain.
sorry if i catch some heat for this...and to each his own...but if you buy a truck based on the truck around the engine and the rest of the drivetrain why exactly is it you are buying dodge trucks to begin with....you will get no argument from me that the engine is great...but the tranny is junk...and every didge i have seen the body goes way before the motor...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts