Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my belt and am wondering if my idler pulley is also bad. One small problem, I don't know exactly where it is? I haven't looked yet but am wondering if anyone has either a picture or a good description of where it is. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
It's on the upper left{looking at the front of your DM}.You can't miss it.Mine at about 60K miles was chirping bad--Get it ONLY at your dealers--I can't remember exactly what it was but aftermarket part was crap. Good luck

·
Registered
834 Posts
replace it asap...mine flew out of the motor!!! I sh!t you not. True store right there. My and my cousin were stuck in chicago that evening. yeap, it was freezing cold :( :( Anyway, I would change the tensioner pulley since you are at it :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
replace all 3

learned my lesson the hard way too
replaced belt and one of the idler pulleys the other 2 seemed good(1 is the tension the other is a grooved idler 3rd is the main idler)
one week later another froze up burned the belt off again!!-:t
lucky there was a parts store 1/2 mile from breakoff drove there and got other 2 wheels
and new belt,put on vwalla
:rant:
:rant:
well you get the message
Al

·
Registered
488 Posts
You can buy aftermarket w/plastic pulley, high dollar oem,or remove pulley go to your local NAPA or equivalent and buy just the bearing ,press old out, new in and your good to go for less than 15 dollars.
Thats what I did worked fine.
Merle

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
That's a great plan 80k10. Too bad when I asked my NAPA dealer,he coud'nt help me. Do you have a NAPA part#???

·
Registered
488 Posts
Take off the Idler remove bolt holding pulley to idler look on backside of brg there will be a number on brg cross refrence number and you are good to go.
I actually did not buy mine at Napa but I just used it as a reference as almost everone has a Napa close by.
Mine came from the local store, Arnold Motor Supply and brg part no. is
PBS-203FF antual cost 6.19
Hope this helps, Merle

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can buy aftermarket w/plastic pulley, high dollar oem,or remove pulley go to your local NAPA or equivalent and buy just the bearing ,press old out, new in and your good to go for less than 15 dollars.
Thats what I did worked fine.
Merle
That's my kind of fix! Would you need to do this for ALL 3 or just the idler pulley? What special tools would I need to complete this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
on my 01 the main idler didn't have a press out bearing.. the center
of the bearing had a pressed in and punched over center spacer that couldn't be removed. although the replacement had a removeable bearing the original didn't

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are these pullies not covered under the Dmax's 5 year original warranty??..................SWH...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts