Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had had toyo oc 315's (~34.9") on my rig for about 6 or 7 months now. Over the last couple of months, I have noticed the truck feeling a bit wiggly on the highway (the best way I can describe it). when traveling on the highway I find that I have to correct the steering more than it should have to be. It feels like that of a windy day. The truck sort of deflects of the straight path a bit. The wheel feels tight, no slop, but I find myself constantly adjusting the wheel to correct for slight unpredictable jogs to the left and right. It is not extreme, but it does not feel right. Another way of explaining it is: It feels almost as if you were riding on top of some smooth railroad tracks and you needed to keep the truck perfectly balanced to stay on top(probably some bad examples here, but that's the best I got). Maybe it is just out of alignment or something. any ideas?

·
Registered
492 Posts
1. How many miles on your rig? If its getting up there in miles could be tie rod ends, ball joints or even wheel bearings. Jack up front and try and wiggle tire back and forth/up and down.

2. How many miles since rotated? As the fronts start to naturally wear they will get more of a rounded footprint as compared to the rear wearing relatively flat. Rounded contact patch will want to "wander" a bit more in a straight line.

3. Air pressure- MAJOR importance when getting into larger tires, specifically the fronts. Keep them the same pressure, whatever you run, at least in the fronts. A few pounds difference will make the truck feel jittery.

4. Wider tires will naturally "grab" surface irregularities in the road, i.e. rough patches, grooves, seams, expansion joints...

When I went from my 285/75x16 Nitto Terra Grappler winter tires to my 305/50x20 Goodyear Eagle GTII summer treads on my '02 Z71 it was a slight adjustment in driving style. Just had to be aware of some movement in the wheel on uneven surfaces.

5. Last but not least, check your nuts,:nutkick:Lug type that is...if they havent been rotated since put on and they havent been tightened, they COULD be loose.

Good luck,
Mike :thumb:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Had to go in to work today and just got home I'll go down the checklist this afternoon

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I would say all three. Definite candidate for new pitman/idler arms and supports. Might as well do sleeves right away and check all joints AND wheel bearings. Quite a few wheel bearings going bad.

Also check the rear ubolts!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it out. Like I said, It is not terrible, but it is enough to get your attention and start your mind wondering if it is you or the truck. All I do is highway driving, but the roads up here are pretty brutal. I read some time ago the writeup on the Cognito page explaining the shortcommings of some of the stearing components. By the time I get this all done, it will be time to trade it in. As a matter of fact, I usually do it every 4 years, but I love this rig so much, I am going to make her last a bit longer.

·
Registered
2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. LBZ conversion by Duraburb
284 Posts
With the OEM PYOs and 245/75-R16 tires, is the pitman and idler arm issue covered under the original factory warrantee?

-P.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. I have been keeping an eye on the pitman/idler pair and since I got the "jiggle", I have found some play in the pitman/idler pair. So I will be replacing them with the braces in the next week or 2. I guess I shouldn't be going too fast into corners anymore... My wheel bearings are still tight though...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Reineke;1601580; said:
I have the same issue with mine. I have been keeping an eye on the pitman/idler pair and since I got the "jiggle", I have found some play in the pitman/idler pair. So I will be replacing them with the braces in the next week or 2. I guess I shouldn't be going too fast into corners anymore... My wheel bearings are still tight though...
Count me in too. I just cranked each side 4-4.5 turns and put on some 265 BFG's. The tires are a most definite improvement in that area. Had an alignment done today, helped but didn't cure all shimmy. Checked bearings by movement method, all's tight. Then heard small creaking from the rear end and found that both of my rear discs are hot (spit and simmer hot) and they were cooling. I'm guessing the pads arent' slidding, parking brake needs adjusted, or caliper is seized, i'll check them later on. Now I remember I adjusted the air pressure from the tire install the other day and I'm thinking that is the problem with the shimmy upfront, but not saying the brakes are a problem either. What are you guys running in the 265 D's? I have (if i remeber correctly) 55 frnt, 50 rears. Good tire contact.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I second the statement of "All Three" I am going through this now, and I have a bad wheel bearing (passenger side this time) and the pitman and idler arms are shot... read up, this is an unfortunate design flaw with our trucks. Buy the support brackets from Kennedy as well as idler and pitman arms from GMPartsDirect or any of our great vendors, and your problems should be solved.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like a fe of us out there. Mine does not feel like anything drastic. after I did the green keys, she got a bit stiffer on the ride and you do notice it. That does not bother me. If you are on the highway doing 60 or so, you just feel like you need to keep her on track a bit more than a one finger cruise. Nothing feels loose and the steering feels tight and responsive, but it feels like she wants to wonder just a little bit every now and then. Been working 16 hr days and have not had time to look into the checklist yet. I'm the type of guy that when the tire finally falls off, I say "hey lets go down that list now" Ha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I have not had much time to anything lately, but I did begin to work on the checklist. Tire pressure was a bit low, but it was equal from side to side. I bumped up the pressure and drove another week. I notice the same feeling though. So, to turn this into a long story. I decided to not do any honey do's over this past weekend, and instead, begin the install on my long time coming, sound system. Spent all day Saturday removing all panels and rear seat, Hogging out rear speaker holes for bigger ones, installing dynamat, rear speakers and amp. Did not wire yet. This is all leading up to something here. Saturday night came, and everything was out of the truck still. I decided to return some movies to Blockbuster and headed off to do so. I realized that without the back seat in, you could hear more road noise through the back vents. I also realized I could hear what sounded like a universal joint on its way out....or was that my center caps rattling around! Got back from the movie store and did some quick investigation. Center caps were not real tight, but probably could not make the level of noise I was hearing. I then grabbed the pass side rear tire and shook the vehicle from side to side. Ahhhhh, I hear some serious clunking. Went over to the drivers side and did the same. Wow! the whole wheel shook back and forth quite a bit. The dam lug nuts were loose. Der, this should have been checked a long time ago. Lucky I did not kill someone or myself. Lesson learned: a impact tool is great, but finish the job with an old fashion tire iron and check it periodically. Want to hear more??? Ok.... So Sunday I decide I might as well rotate all tires while I'm at it (not in my weekend plan). I go to remove the pass side rear wheel with my impact and two of the studs sheared off quite easily. This tire was relatively tight before I went to remove it. So what do you have to do to replace these studs?? Well I found out! Had to slide the axle out, remove the bearing and hub (or whatever it is called), pound out the broken studs and pound in the new and put it all together again. Yahooooo! Drove the truck on the expressway today and it seems to be tracking just fine. That was a close one! It must have been on its way for over a month now!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, luckily you caught it before all hell broke loose!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Always torque wheels w/ a torque wrench! Then re-check after driving a bit. Hub-centric wheels and northern climate (corrosion) pose a particular problem.

I nearly lost a wheel a couple weeks after haveing gears done by a local shop. Before I knew what was happening, lost a couple lug nuts and sheared a stud! Another time, different truck, after having tires installed (same shop!), I lost a rear wheel while plowing! Sheared 5 outa 6 lugs! When I later asked the installer if he uses a torque wrench...he replied "what for...we never use one"! No ****!

So I go back again this fall and have another set of tires put on my HD...the same guy sais, "did you bring a torque wrench?". I say no... He then asks what I'm gonna do. I said to put them on and I'll retorque them when I get home. He laughed like he didnt believe me. I got home and did a "crack-on" method of torque audit (sping wrench in tightnent direction until bolt starts to move) and found them upwards of 160nm! Good thing there forged aluminum...cause it would probably crushed cast wheels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I went today to get an alignment and they said they wouldn't do it becuase the pitmann and idler are bad.He showed me and sure enough they are loose.This explains why I have a groove worn into the tranny line.Good thing It's still under warranty.

·
Registered
492 Posts
DieselDick;1609077; said:
Seems like a fe of us out there. Mine does not feel like anything drastic. after I did the green keys, she got a bit stiffer on the ride and you do notice it. That does not bother me. If you are on the highway doing 60 or so, you just feel like you need to keep her on track a bit more than a one finger cruise. Nothing feels loose and the steering feels tight and responsive, but it feels like she wants to wonder just a little bit every now and then. Been working 16 hr days and have not had time to look into the checklist yet. I'm the type of guy that when the tire finally falls off, I say "hey lets go down that list now" Ha.
DieselDick,
I'm just glad you caught it before "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...":eek:

There's always a "last but NOT least", those wheel manufacturers HAD to have a reason to stick that little sticker on EVERY wheel they make.

"Check and tighten lug nuts after X miles..."

Rock on!
Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, Jeff Foxworthy is making me a sign as we speak!

It rides like it should now. Well, as best as could be expected when driving on these MA. pot hole riddled roads. Now, to get back to the stereo......

·
Registered
336 Posts
The dealer called today and said my truck is ready,they say that the suspension is all within GM spec for range of motion.BS.Three days to tell me this.My guess is that they are trying to get out of doing it under warranty,truck has 29,500 miles on it.But little do they know, I bought the 75,000 mile warranty.I'll just go back when the truck has oh lets say 37,000 on it.The service consultant was trying to tell me that the alignment shop I went to was just trying to sell me some parts I didn't need.I really dont think that my brother would try to sell me extra parts.If so I just might have to go and open up a can of whoop ***.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts