Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I worked all day and could not get the idler arm loose from the center link. I used a puller, a crow foot and big hammer, penetrating oil. I pried on it and even resorted to giving it a few whacks with the hammer. When I busted the skin off my knuckles I said enough. I read that many had no problems with it but of coarse I couldn't be that lucky. Short of getting angry and burning the truck to the ground I decided to put it back together and attempt to use my extended warranty for it. They wouldn't warranty my tie rods but hopefully they will the idler. I am going to hit them with a few issues at the same time. Has anyone had a problem with the dealers warrantying the idler or pitman arms? If they do warranty it I will be selling a new factory idler arm with bushing still in the unopened package.
BRAND NEW IDLER ARM PART#15891516

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hope it works out, but if not, I used a good impact on the puller then gave it a good whack . It;s all about the big hammer...

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I almost folded my puller! The jaws wouldn't grab enough to get a perfectly pull. I tried a pitman puller but the jaws wouldn't fit in with the seal. What type of puller were you using? I have about 7 different sizes and shapes and only one two jaw med size would fit. I need a pickle fork on an air hammer! I think that would get it done. As for a hemmer I tried the pickle fork with a 15lb sledge hammer. Granted I couldn't get a big swing but I did hit it pretty hard. Hmmm, maybe a cutting torche! He, he, he

·
Registered
92 Posts
If there is room, try to place a 5 lb sledge against one side and hit the other side with a good sized hammer. This almost always works for me after a few whacks. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My pitman arm puller was a tight fit . but I worked it on over the seal and it worked. It wasn't easy but it will fit.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
my aftermarket warranty (Service gaurd) replaced mine at 62000 on my 05 along with the front ds wheelbearing and lower ball joints and some other items saved me 1800

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I almost folded my puller! The jaws wouldn't grab enough to get a perfectly pull. I tried a pitman puller but the jaws wouldn't fit in with the seal. What type of puller were you using? I have about 7 different sizes and shapes and only one two jaw med size would fit. I need a pickle fork on an air hammer! I think that would get it done. As for a hemmer I tried the pickle fork with a 15lb sledge hammer. Granted I couldn't get a big swing but I did hit it pretty hard. Hmmm, maybe a cutting torche! He, he, he
I didn't have too much problem with the pitman/idler to the drag link, but removing the pitman arm was harder.
I used this KD Pitman puller. I paid $32ish at NAPA.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2289.html
I had to file the gap between the jaws just a little, to be able to wedge this around the seals.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
When we did mine, we used a flat hammer tool in the air hammer. Pushed the idler right out of the centerlink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts