Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these really increase the life of the pitman arm and idler arm? if so by how much. my truck eats these parts in 10,000 miles and i need to increase the life of these parts cause it is costing me an arm and a leg.

Is cognito (sp) the ones to get?

Also is there and thing to help the hubs last longer too. my truck likes to eat those too.

Is there anything else i should look at putting on my truck to help the crappy IFS? and if so why?

Thanks Guys
Tom

· Registered
518 Posts
When I replaced both arms at 25K, I added the Cognito supports. Now with close to four times the miles, both replacement arms are still tight.

IMHO, they work!

Good luck on the bearings. I haven't found a solution that that.

· Registered
82 Posts
How do I go about determining if the idler and pitman arm are worn out. My truck has 29000, and everything seems fine, but Ive been plowing with it for two years now and Im wondering about the idler and pitman.

· Registered
2,899 Posts
but the truck on some jack stands and see if you can turn the front wheels (like your are trying to steer them) with your hands there shouldn't be to much play i just put my braces on and replaced a hub the next hub i replace will be from carquest or some were they give a life time warrenty that is were i got my lower ball-joints

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdugie123;1547588; said:
but the truck on some jack stands and see if you can turn the front wheels (like your are trying to steer them) with your hands there shouldn't be to much play i just put my braces on and replaced a hub the next hub i replace will be from carquest or some were they give a life time warrenty that is were i got my lower ball-joints
Do you have the braces and if so how have they been making your arms last with those big tires?

· Registered
92 Posts
I am in this same boat and need a long lasting fix. How about some feed back on the cognito compaired to other brand supports for this...THX!!

· Premium Member
415 Posts
Dont think there are other brands of braces...

· Premium Vendor
9,304 Posts
If you have 10k or more on them (some with even less) they are sure to be worn pretty seriously.

Lift the RH wheel by the a-arm leaving the LH on the ground. Grab the RH tire at 3 and 9 oclock and try to steer it. Watch the drag link rise and fall while the RH wheel moves and the LH is stationary. A helper can hold the LH wheel if necessary.

I put these on my 2002 (I always recommend new joints at time of install) a few years ago with excellent results.

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so is this a yes they will last a lot longer or a no they wont last longer with 35's?

· Registered
3,845 Posts
caswell;1562644; said:
well, i've been running 285's and cranked tbars for 2 years (~30,000 miles). I ordered the leveling kit and braces 5 minutes ago. I hope i don't have to repace my pitman arms anyway.... :eek:
With 30k on the clock, you are probably getting close to needing new pitman and idler arms anyway.

· Premium Vendor
9,304 Posts
tmg115;1562636; said:
so is this a yes they will last a lot longer or a no they wont last longer with 35's?
Yes they will last longer. IMHO it's your only hope without tradeoffs.

· Registered
2,899 Posts
i just put the 37" on back in Dec but i had the 35" tires for a year and had both idler and pitman arm replaced when i did the lift at the same time and they just barely lasted the year i have the braces on now and it feels much better so i will see how they do i only have 3k on my new tires and braces so i can't give a good example of the life but i have heard of a number of guys with them and it makes the parts last much longer

· Registered
518 Posts
tmg115;1562636; said:
My experience described in post #2 of this thread is with 33's, if that helps.

Mine have lasted 3 times as long with the braces, so far; they are still tight.

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
supporting vendors i need braces.

IS there a supporting vendor here that wants to hook me up with a good deal on cognito(sp) idler arm and pitman arm braces. i need some bad, my idler arm wore out in under 5000 miles.

Thanks
Tom.

· Registered
14,927 Posts
Kennedy Diesel sells them.

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fort Worth, Texas

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Max Power;1564740; said:
Kennedy Diesel sells them.
Im trying to see if any of the vendors is having a special on them, or some thing like that. $200 is a lot of money for me.

· Premium Member
415 Posts
Looks like you got thousands in mods....but $200 gonna break you?

I'd love for someone to give me a set too! Just get 'em...there worth it in the savings of your pitman/idler arms! Wait till you gotta replace those...$$$.

Kennedy, norcal, cognito...all within a few bucks....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.