Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last turbo equiped vehicle I had was a Mitsubishi Eclipse. I had always been told by the experts to let the engine idle for at least a minute after highway speeds or hard use to let the turbo "spool and cool down". I did that; but the friggin' thing STILL died at 65,000 miles!

What's the recommendation on the '04 Duramax? I have not completed going through the owner's manual yet, but the 'Duramax Supplement' to the manual did not talk about the turbo.

With our trucks in general, is it important to idle for an extended period of time just after starting and again prior to shutting it off? I tow a trailer and that's what all the diesel motorhome guys do!

One last one while I'm online (I am SO glad I found this forum): I used to use a diesel in a sailboat - starting involved waiting for the glow plugs to heat up prior to turning it over. I saw in the manual there is supposed to be an icon on the dash saying the plugs are the correct temp, but I have not seen them yet. Then again, I've only started the truck about 6 times..................Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
IMO any turbo will benefit from a short cool down period after freeway driving, pulling, etc. Daily putzing around town I dont worry about it too much.

The new glow plug system only needs 3 seconds to reach temperature. So you really have to be quick to see the indicator light. Looks like a curly pig tail. Located upper left middle'ish in the inst. panel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have a look in the suppliment manual for the location of the "pigtail" on your panel.

I noticed that above 80F it doesn't seem to come on, but in the morning it came on prior to starting for 1/2 second, These LLY's are quick activating glow plugs. You almost have to be staring at it before you turn the key to catch it

Rob

·
Banned
449 Posts
You do know you have to put the key in the on position right? You wont see the light if you bypass the on position and go right to turning the motor over.

·
Registered
706 Posts
PS

The turbo in both the LB7 and the LLY are water cooled and engine oil lubricated. The issue with hot turbos revolves around the hot turbo housing causing the oil to break down and pluging the oil lubricating passages. When this happens the oil can't lubricate the turbo and sooner than later it will grenade....

The turbo's in the duramax were designed for heavy duty and were water cooled. While I don't recommed shutting down directly after climbing a 8% grade towing 16k.......these turbos are much less sensitive to heat than previous trucks. The water should help keep temps low enough to prevent oil breakdown in the turbo if shut down at higher temps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips and suggestions on the turbo. I suppose a little idling after a hard climb is warranted and could not heard. After all, fuel is SO inexpensive right now!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought I had read that the VGT in the LLY was NOT water cooled?

At any rate - water cooled or not - it's still not a bad idea to let it idle briefly before shutting it down.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For what it is worth, in March I was East bound on I-10 from CA. East of Coachella, there is a long climb - Churiaco Summit. I had 5 horses and all the junk it takes to be on the road for a month - at least max GCW. We ran up the hill in 3 and 4, as fast as I could run - passed by few. When I pulled into the rest area at the top, the EGT was still hanging around 900. I parked, idled for a couple of minutes at 1800 rpm, then a couple at 1200 rpm, and a couple more at curb idle - all that to get the EGT down to 325 so I could shut down. Mine is a '02, and I was running stock power, 4" exhaust. So, sometimes it takes quite a bit longer to cool down than you might expect. I have run turbo charged engines for a long time, and by doing it that way, have never had to replace a turbo - knock wood!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally saw the "pig's tail" on the dash on starting this morning. It was on for I'd estimate .25 second! I remember warming glow plugs on my father's boat for around a minute before turning over the engine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts