Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am showing about halfway between the larger white tick and the red during idle, idles at about 750 rpm, the oil pressure reacts as fast as a friggin tach almost...haha, this sound normal for this engine? Going down the road at about 2000rpm is about 70 psi I guess, a wee bit above the 60 mark, and sometimes approaching 100 when cold. discuss

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep, that is about what mine does too, though maybe a touch higher at idle. Been told on other forums its normal. Also, noticed a little higher pressure after first oil change. I went with Rotella-T dino oil for now, still only at 5300 miles.

John

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be because yours is an auto, IE working a hair harder to maintain an idle rpm when dealing with the converter, that might be it, or might just be like you said, wait for that first oil change.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
The Duramax engine has a wide range of oil pressures. Meaning some will be 70+ pounds at cruising speed while engine is at operating temperatures, while others may be more like 55-60#

The oil and its viscosity has a lot to do with the oil pressure. I have the Amsoil dual by pass oil filter set up, and use Mobil Delvac 1 motor oil and my truck runs between 60-70# cruising at operating temperature, and 80# cold, while at idle cold its 70+ and hot is 40#.

As long as it is 50# or more at operating temperatures while cruising everything is fine. Just watch so it don't change drastically.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My oil pressure is very similar.. about 25psi at hot idle, 50-60 at highway speed. I have read that GM lowered the oil pressure on the 03's. Last winter I would see 90psi when cold and accelerating...easy of course....

No worries.

Bob

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Many of the stock truck will (with thick oil) max the oil gauge out while cold. That is common. Oil pressure may climb to 100 pst.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
More than anything, establish yourself a base line where your truck normally runs and watch for it there. Also as long as it stays out of the red at anytime you're good. I don't think that the factory gauges are all that accurate.

Anyhow in my case, hot idle pressure is one hash mark under 30 and cruisng speed one hash mark over 60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts