Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have idle surge about 3 to 5 RPM if I let off the break pedal a bit I can feel it chugging forward

I have been to 4 dealers

Had the computer flashed, and the Trans flashed for a diff issue

The dealer replaced a fuel control module because the tec said there was air in a clear hose he installed to check the fuel

But I don’t see how that would make air get in the line

Is there a way to check this out?

other things I read that would fix this are flashing the ecu, replacing the fuel injection pump, replacing the fuel regulator, replacing a line behind the alternator that might have a hole in it because of the robot installing the alternators, trading it in hehehe well don’t want to trade it in

Any help would be appreciated

If you know a dealer here in the DFW area that is willing to cooperate please let me know

I have been to

friendly Chevrolet(had no clue)

Jupiter Chevrolet (flashed ecu and replaced the fuel control module also told me to come back in about 5k miles at this rate ill rune out of warranty)

Grapevine Chevrolet(flashed ecu)

thanks

augie

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I read a post a while back that said he had to replace his entire tranny to fix it.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I would get them to replace the Rail Pressure Control Valve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ill see if they are willing to try this next

where is it located and what does it look like

any pics out there on the web that i can see

i hate to beg them to do this kind of stuff but at least i can go in there and say hay will you replace that thing next

thanks for you help hoot

problemchild very funny hehehe if thats the case ill trade up to a 04

when i had the tranny comp flashed the truck was doing the bump and grind felt like i got bumped and i started to grind my teeth

felt like it would go in to neutral and back in gear never had a deisel before and it scared the crap out of on the 5 time i was still freaked when it did it

ecu flash took care of that

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang sorry

the truck had 25k when i picked it up and it was running good till about 5k and started acting up

did it stock with no power adder

i have a K&N ,power edge juice V4.61 and a jardin exhaust

i pull the k&n off and the juice when i take it in for service

2001 Silverado 4x4 42k on it nowEdited by: The Flash

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Flash,

When did your truck do the "bump and grind?" Was it from idle or when you were going down the road? Mine has a miss too that jerks real hard, and I don't know if it is related.

THanks,

Justin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i got the truck about a week later i was at a light and it felt like i got rear ended when i looked there was no one there i thought i have left it between gears or something then it did it again and again at randome when i was coming to a stop so i went online and found some info on one of the payforums they there was a flash for the tranny that would fix this so i took it in and had it done well the idle started to act up also so i had both the ECU's flashed and i havent had any more problems with the tranny but the idle is still on going

in the summer it idle is not that noticable but you can still feel it but when it gets cold ti does it all the time

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2001 and it jumps forward and it seems like it chugs if you just let off the brake a little when you are in traffic or waiting at a light. I haven't taken it in because I don't know if this is normal or not.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you guys with 2001 have not had all the ECM-TCM reflashes ,I would start there .... Both issue you describe have corrections available .... Lopey idle and delayed downshift neither are related but two seperate issues ....

Mac

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joeking thats what i was feeling

mackin i know you are hoot know all there is to know when it comes to these trucks cus i have read many of your post on other forums

the tranny issue is gone for me after the flash but i had the main ecu i had flashed twice and still i have the lopey idle

do you think that mebey they did not flash the ECM?

i am going to take it in and would like to point out that Rail Pressure Control Valve but i also just saw some other post that pointed to the fuel injection pump and having that replaced fixed the problem

is the RPCV in side the fuel injection pump?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If the ECM reflash on a 01 didn't correct the problem then the next step would be R&R the RPCV ...

Good luck

Mac

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The Flash said:
is this another name for the fuel injection pump?
It's the High Pressure Fuel Pump as far as I know. The rail pressure control valve is mounted on the pump.

On top in this pic. Looks like a little starter motor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow

is that thing is under the intake?

o wait this not like a regular v8

i dont see any push rod holes it must have over head cams

ok are there any manuals on line and yea you guessed it its my first diesel once the warrenty runs out ill be doing this stuff myself

i have been working on cars as a hobbie for a while i have a supra that is making over 700HP to the wheels on the stock bottom end with 76k on it if you go to my site you can see a list of mods i have done to it and some dyno charts

thanks

for the pic hoot

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was wondering if this was under the intake too? Can I do this myself, or should the dealer do it?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
In this view, before the heads are removed, you see the intake is not like a gasser. There are two intake manifolds... one on each head, connected further back with a crossover casting. You can see the high pressure fuel pump in the middle. This is not an overhead cam engine. The pushrods go down through the head.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
juicemac78 said:
I was wondering if this was under the intake too? Can I do this myself, or should the dealer do it?

Let the dealer do it if is still under warranty by all means. That is one of the great things about owning a diesel..the manufacturers are real proud of the engine and in turn give us a good warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really wish I could get the dealer to do it. My stubborn service manager doesn't believe a word I say, therefore all he says is I need an injector flush for $59.95.
I wish we could get a decent service manager at our local dealership....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Call the someone in customer service office in MI. I am sure they can help. What the heck is a injector flush anyway?

Sorry you have to go through this!! Not fun....I have to say that, over all I am NOT IMPRESSED with the service /parts people in my area. They really do not exert confidence that I like to see. Most of the time they do not have a answer. It seems they are flashed themselves from GM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts