Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most of you idle down to let the turbo cool after highway driving? I live a mile from the highway with back road speed being 45 mph and might hit 2 pounds of boost and figured that was good enough to cool down the turbo. If I come the other way home I have a 2 mile hill that runs about 8 pounds of boost so I idle it down for one minute after getting home. Lost a turbo years ago on a diesel from just shutting it down and dont want to do that again. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
Do most of you idle down to let the turbo cool after highway driving? I live a mile from the highway with back road speed being 45 mph and might hit 2 pounds of boost and figured that was good enough to cool down the turbo. If I come the other way home I have a 2 mile hill that runs about 8 pounds of boost so I idle it down for one minute after getting home. Lost a turbo years ago on a diesel from just shutting it down and dont want to do that again. Thanks
Having a set of gauges to monitor things like EGT, Boost, fuel pressure can help determine your need to idle down.
When your EGT's are high you should allow it to cool down.
Normal driving conditions you should be ok.

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a boost and a FP guage still need to install the pyro, not looking forward to that. I have learned how important a FP guage is to protect the IP as I noticed when running hard the FP can drop to 0 maybe even a vacuum but comes back up to 3 or 4 psi after letting off the pedal.

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
I do have a boost and a FP guage still need to install the pyro, not looking forward to that. I have learned how important a FP guage is to protect the IP as I noticed when running hard the FP can drop to 0 maybe even a vacuum but comes back up to 3 or 4 psi after letting off the pedal.
There is a link in the 6.5L FAQ for probe install: Pre-Turbo EGT probe installation. W/Pics!
It's not as hard as you may think. Just take your time and follow the info

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,793 Posts
No.

This is a question that comes up fairly often because of reading online.
Most people will say "no", some will cool it down.

I have not cool down the turbo for a long time and the truck still running.
Mind you I have the PMD outside the hood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts