Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a real rookie with this whole diesel thing. Since buying my first diesel in March, a 2004 GMC 3500 DRW CC SLT 4X4 LLY/Allison, I've been trying to get used to the way diesels perform. In addition, I'm trying to readjust the way I think and change some of my old habits like remembering to look for stations with diesel fuel, waiting for the glow plug light before starting, etc. In addition to that, someone has told me that it is necessary to let the engine "idle down" for 30-60 seconds before shutting off the key. I can't find anything about this in the owner's manual but, since that time, I sit in the truck for about 60 seconds before shutting it off. Is this really necessary, is it recommended, or am I the victim of some kind of "let's mess with the new guy" diesel humor?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Many people say that that's not necessary with the DMax b/c the turbo's water cooled. I'm a creature of habit, though, so I let mine idle for a minute or so (while I gather up stuff to get out like wallet, lunchbox, etc) before I shut it off.

My old man ground into me to let his turbocharged farm tractors idle before shutting off, so I guess I'm hardwired.
I'm sure one of the techs around here will pipe in soon to answer your question.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am a firm believer in letting the engine idle for at least one minute before shutting it down. I am not sure if it is necessary, but a little prevention never hurts. Just to give the turbo a chance to slow down. I used to work on industrial Natural Gas Turbo Charged Engines. They had a Post Lube pump on them just for that reason. Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
91 Posts
BIGMoe

The post lube pumps were necessary because not only did it use oil for lube but it also used it to keep its bearings cool. They were not water cooled as our duramax's are. EMD used the turbo aux pump for the same feature as to prelube the turbo bearings before start up and to cool for 30 minutes the turbo bearings after shut down.

One minute is probably a good safety precaution on the duramax especially if just stopping after pulling a heavy load or comming off an interstate after pushing it real hard.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
id definitly suggest "cool down" if youve been pulling a heavy loadfor a distance......like stated above, it gives the turbo a chance to slow/cool down....
like cstone on our farm we always let turbo tractors, esp. our big steigers idle for at least 3-5 mins after disking/plowing whatever for the day...little bit goes along way...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thank you for the help on this. The "someone" who told me about this was my son, and I thought maybe he was having a little fun at the "old man's" expense.
Guess I should go apologize to him for thinking that.
Aren't I fortunate that someone in the family knows about these kinds of things? In addition, isn't it nice how we can constantly learn new things and, often times, our children are the teachers?

Thanks again to all of you too!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am wondering what is the difference as to whether the turbo bearings are water cooled or oil cooled. Either way, you are stopping your means of cooling the bearings whether it be the water pump or oil pump?

My remote starter keeps my truck running 2 minutes after I remove the key, seems to work pretty good if you dont have time to sit and wait.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MaineMax—I had thought of a remote start, not so much for shutting down as for starting up, especially in Winter. Gave up on the idea after remembering that you had to wait for the start light to go off before starting. Therefore, didn't think a remote start was compatible with a diesel. Was totally unaware (this is my first diesel) that there was a remote that would keep the truck running for a period of time before it was automatically shut down. Are these remotes the same product—one use for starting with another setting for shutting down—or are we talking about 2 different kinds of remotes? Running these diesels is certainly a lot more work than running a gasser! lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
EEEEZY

The remote I have is a Viper. It is both a remote starter and also has the turbo cool down option. Another option it allows, is for you to remove your key from the ignition while the truck remains running. Its basically a function of you hitting the little buttons on the remote before you get out as to how it works. It is also backed by a lifetime warranty. I believe it is wired to the "wait to start" light, when it goes out it energizes the starter. It has worked great for me during this past cold Maine winter.

I hope this helps....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Part of the reason for the "idle cool down" period is to let cool oil circulate over the turbo bearings. If you shut off the engine with hot oil and bearings the oil has a tendancy to COKE. After a period of time and many hot shutdowns the COKING builds up and the oil is no longer able to lube the bearings. This is still true on the Duramax. Yes it is water cooled, but oil lubricated. On the 2000 and 2001 with the small cooling port, this was apparent. This is another reason to use the proper spect quality oil and frequent changes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MaineMax—Thank you! That helps enormously. I'll look into the Viper. Are these normally purchased directly from the company, from an on-line re-seller, at a parts place, or where?

·
Registered
184 Posts
EEEEZy, no problem

I bought mine and had it installed here in Maine at a local car stereo retailer. They were a dealer for Viper alarms and remote starters. You could probably look up Viper online, and they could tell you then nearest dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MaineMax—Thank you again! I'll search around and see what I can find on Viper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts