Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought it off of eBay. Here's the title & Pic:

GM STARTER NEW DELCO REMY 28MT 1998557 TRUCK

Which is supposed to be a gear reduction starter, as signified by 28MT correct?

So I get the 18.5lb lump and I don't know how to tell. The number in the headline, 1998557 (followed by 6B27), is stamped on the body. I put that number in at GM Parts Direct and they don't know that number.:mad:

Why doesn't the pic in my garage post?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Are you sure the 28MT means reduction starter? the picture in the 2nd post does not look like a reduction starter to me infact it looks like a SBC (small block chev) starter to me,
is it possible that it is a 24Volt starter, from a military variant?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seller is i-soldit.com St. Petersburg FL. I did a search on eBay motors "parts & accessories" for "Starter 28MT 6.5" and got 13 hits. All the other starters looked like each other but different than this one. Except for one. It looks the same as the one I got. Heaven's Sakes:eek: it is being offered by i-soldit.com in Maryland. WHO KNEW??:mad:

I looked closely and there is some red gasket sealer remnants on it and the one I have has black. In the other ad the description reads "specs are almost the same as....the 28MT" :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Almost? This ain't horseshoes or hand grenades:rolleyes:

I don't know what this is for, I'd like to know though, but it's goin' back!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I dont know if this will help identify your starter but your part# is short 1 number GM parts are 8 digit(most of them)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great service, Great starter, Great Price

I don't know if this is acceptable or not but... I bought a starter of ebay about 9 months ago from a company called DB Electrical in Johnson City, Tenn. The price was right less than TD edit most retailers (posting of pricing not allowed), for a 100% brand new starter, with a one year no hassle warranty. Autozone wanted damn near 300 bones for a rebuilt unit. So I took a chance, not really they have had nearly 20,000 positive feedbacks, and only 5 negative since 2002. (No that's not a typo)

Any way I had a problem last week with the cold weather, I accused the glows but it turns out, the starter was to blame (nine months may not seem like a long time for a starter, but that nine months saw 90,000 miles and nearly as many starts). So I called down to Tenn. on Monday to test this "no hassle" warranty, they looked up my name, found the record, told me it was under warranty and said he would ship me another that afternoon. Thursday I had it in my hands. With a prepaid shipping tag to send the old one back. Best service I've recieved from any business in well ever; yet alone, electrical auto parts. They've got my vote.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I got one from SSDieselSupply and it's doing good.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
xpoorpoetx;1596927; said:
Any way I had a problem last week with the cold weather, I accused the glows but it turns out, the starter was to blame (nine months may not seem like a long time for a starter, but that nine months saw 90,000 miles and nearly as many starts). So I called down to Tenn. on Monday to test this "no hassle" warranty, they looked up my name, found the record, told me it was under warranty and said he would ship me another that afternoon. Thursday I had it in my hands. With a prepaid shipping tag to send the old one back. Best service I've recieved from any business in well ever; yet alone, electrical auto parts. They've got my vote.

With this kind of warranty support they look like someone worth checking out, are starters the only 6.5 equipment they support

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
More pics:

Numbers on the body. You can see it is a 7 digit number followed by 6B27

Numbers on sticker. Looks like a rebuilt sticker. date is 11/01/99

Sorry if they don't show up. They are in my garage. I'm having problems with cut & paste in the body of a message on this forum.

There aren't any 8 digit numbers on it.

I've attached the 2 pics, maybe that will work:eek::

Attachments

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hey here is a thought see if it is worth any trade value to DB electrical contact xpoor via PM to see if he still has contact info, heck they might know right away what starter you have

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Large number of GM parts have only 7-digits, usually beginning with 9 - the 8-digit numbers usually begin like 12 and 25

With that cut-down rear case, that looks more like the 4.3 direct-drive starter - the 6.2 direct-drive starter is as big as the water-heater in your house, and weighs considerably more than 18lbs.

Usually marked 12v, also has a 24v version for the military, usually marked 24v

The MT starter has a small ball-bearing motor, with the drive pinion offset due to the reduction gearcase - looks like a toyota starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a starter from DB Electrical in early December and it's doing what it's supposed to...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen DB as well. Good to have the opinions.

Total with shipping this was less than $50 so I let the price override my non-familiarity of what a 28MT looks like.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
the ac delco number for your starter is 323-365

go to http://webcaps.ecomm.gm.com/canada/InternetMain.jsp and click on Competitive Cross Reference thentype in the 1998557
and then...well you will see when you do it.
It will give you all the vehicles this starter is used in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I can get other part # as well:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts