Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my IC under the fan cowling up against the frame in the front.

I have tried it with the back hanging down about 3 inches below the front and it was maxed out around 80F at 47F ambient. Cruise along at 60 - 65F.

With the back only 1 inch below the front it's up to around 85F max and cruising around 70F.

This was with the front bumper holes as they are on a stock truck with the plastic pieces in there.

This seem OK at 3 inch drop but is only around 4 inches from the road.

If I raise the back up against the frame it will be completely behind the bumper cowling with nothing hanging down. The back will be about 1 inch higher than the front.

I'm thinking about mounting it this way and opening the holes in the front to let air come in over the top and down through the IC. The radiator cowling is above the IC and the frame rails box it in. The only opening behind the bumper is straight back toward the engine.

If I block this area off from the cowl to the back of the IC the air that comes through the holes will be forced to go out through the IC.

This air that's currently coming into the bumper holes is being directed by the plastic pieces to go up into the radiator.

Some of the air will still go up to the radiator but it could be less than with the plastic pieces in.

Anybody have their IC this way that has used it in the summer time?

Anybody run with the bumper holes open that noticed a difference in cooling?

Other question is would there be enough air going through the bumper holes?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't see a cooling problem if you take the air dam out of the bumper. I see a lot of people with lights stuck in their bumper holes here in Texas. Post some pics if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get some pictures when I get back in town. My trucks at home.

Guess I can't qualify for the Vertical Hanging ATA IC Club.

·
Registered
522 Posts
:nopics:

I just had to do that :)

David, if I can picture what you are saying it is exactly what I was thinking about for my IC. Sure you may loose some ground clearance, sorta, but it seems like a good place to hide it w/o major work.

But seriously, lets see some pics! Please

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics coming in 11 days or so.

A lot of trucks I have seen don't have the cowling below the bumper. If you have that 4" cowling you know what I mean. The IC is 4" and is completely behind the cowling with it horizontal and not hanging down at all. I looked at hanging it down but it's too low. Main concern is the amount of air which I think is enough to do the job judging from tests with it hanging down only an inch. Basically the same thing scrufdog is doing with the scoop only the air enters through the bumper holes and exits down below the truck.

The scoop part uses the frame rails for sides and the radiator cowl for a top. I am adding the back block off piece from the radiator cowl down to the back of the IC.

The PMD Isolator is also in the same air flow above the IC.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I left the air dam in place and have yet to break 150f IAT.

Forgot to add that I removed the plastic crap in the bumper holes. It helped the radiator temps in my truck too, no matter what you nay-sayers claim.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Jasonsmack;1586620; said:
Forgot to add that I removed the plastic crap in the bumper holes. It helped the radiator temps in my truck too, no matter what you nay-sayers claim.
i removed mine as well and have driving lights in the holes and have yet to see any cooling problems.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i remove my air dam in the summer and put it back on in the winter. only seen a tiny bit diiference in egts when i put it back on in 80 degree weather.

·
Registered
121 Posts
DavidPhillips;1586618; said:
Pics coming in 11 days or so.
Are you running that seismic truck?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some buggies now.

You think that intercooler on top is working?

Looks like Scrufdogs setup, except it's got a hydraulic powered fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep, seen a lot of those run. I've seen a lot of those stuck too! They sure mess up a field in a hurry. If you ever are in the Ft. Worth area working send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do,

Might be down around that way in a couple of months.

Hico or Stephenville.

here's a lighter one, 50,000 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good deal, thats only an hour away.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The PMD mentioned before being over the IC is a concern.

How much heat is going to come off of the IC and cause some problems with the PMD?

I am thinking it might need to be relocated but not sure where.

Thinking about figuring out a way to put it behind the IC.

Possibly down behind the cab somewhere?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I came across a customer last summer, owned a 6.5, changed the front bumper with one without holes, causing over heating his turbo, ended up replacing, so the service tech dealer told him.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the way it is now.

I am going to raise the back up and direct air from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm about to enter the ATA IC world and I've been doing as much reading and looking at as many pics as possible. Thanks to all the members who have provided me with info.

Question....

Why do most guys mount them so laid back, basically following the plain of the skid plate? I had a look under my truck and it seems like it can be mounted vertially infront of the skid plate and not hang down enough to make it hazard. I would remove at least the section of black rubber air dam under the front lic plate infront of the IC.

Is there some airflow dynamics that I'm not aware of that make it more benefical to mount them laid back? I know coofool has his mounted complete vertical in his custom bumper.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, when you crawl under the truck with IC in hand your gonna be shocked.

It won't fit anywhere. The plan I have is to have it horizontal and ram some air through it.

Mine is also a 1500 so it's lower.

A very small one will fit like your talking about if you can find one, but it seems that the one I have as is works great. Should be even better when I get it raised up and cram some air through it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My truck is a 1500 also but 4x4 so it sits higher. I'm sure when I actually get it and go to install it, things might not work as they seem.

I just wanted to know if it was just a fit issue for the way guys have been mounting them or a performance issue.

So is it safe to say, the more vertical it can be mounted, the better? Unless you're doing some type of ram air install, of course.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, no replacement for frontal air pressure.

You may need to cover it in the winter. I was thinking about running the plastic bumper hole inserts in the winter and take them off in the summer. Need to do more testing.

I raised it up now and it's going to still have some drop in the back.

It seems that the air flowing across the top is helping to draw air in from the bottom now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts