Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got started on my IC install today. I've been putting it off or a ton of different reasons but today I finally got into it. I only managed to get the IC hung, I haven't started routing any of the pipes yet. It's going to be a bit of a job because in order to use my Peninsular upper intake adaptor I have to switch my lower intake to a "F" lower (which I have purchased and will get next week) so I can do away with the EGR tower. I don't like the idea of jamming a frost plug in there with nothing to keep it in place if it decides to pop out. I don't think a frost plug getting sucked in the intake would be a very good thing..:eek:

I also had to relocate my FSD which was mounted in the nostril on the lower part of the bumper. The brackets I used to hang the IC kind of got in the way, so I moved the FSD to the upper part of the bumper.

If I get time this weekend I'm going to get the pipe routed through the wheel wells and just secure them in place until I can do the intake swap.

I've attached a few pics.

I won't ask for my Hanging ATA IC member number until the job is complete. :D

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Looks good...

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'll be following this closely. I want to do my own soon, using a universal I/C and whatever universal tubing kits I need. Thanks for the pics, and please keep em coming. I'd also like to know exactly what you use for tubing.
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Good start, I think alot of people will be watching closely soooooo take lots of pictures PLZzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install Part Deux....Passenger's side

Today I got the pipe routing done for the passenger's side. I jacked up the truck and removed the wheel and inner fender. The inner fender is much easier to remove when the wheel is off. Ever other time I've done it, I've left the wheel on.

I started the pipe routing at the IC with a 90* tube. I had to cut it down to keep the routing close to the frame (pic attached). I flared the end slightly and roughed it up with some 60 grit sandpaper to give it some "tooth" for the coupler to grab onto.

After that I rotated the tubro down. Very easy to do, even easier if you have the upper intake off. Just loosen the 6 10mm bolts on the back (you don't have to completely remove them if you have the intake off, you do if you leave it on. Mine was still on.

After the turbo was rotated I explored my options for what would be the best routing. It turned out that a 45* pipe cut down lined things up perfectly (pic attached) and much to my surprise and amazement, I did not have to cut the inner fender (pic attached).

So far I have only had to use 1-90* tube and 1-45* tube both cut to length.

The passenger's side is down, very simple. I've pulled everything back out since I won't be ready to do the final install until I swap out my intakes and because I won't have to remove the inner fender to route the pipes, it will be a breeze to put the back in again.

Hopefully this has been helpful to everyone. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm thinking the driver's side is going to be just as simple but I won't be able to get to it until next weekend at the soonest.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
That looks greta DAVE greta pics too.
Where did you get the black pipe?
Is it powder coated?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice!! It's encouraging to see it so nicely laid out. Should get me motivated to install mine. I wasn't too keen on the notion of cutting the inner fender. So much to do, so little time......
What size pipe (id) are you running? I have an IC with 2.5" inlet/outlet and am considering going to a 3" unit to ensure goodflow.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is definitely motivating me to do this to my truck.
How did you mount the intercooler? It looks like a homemade bracket on the bottom of it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
lookin good dave12! cant wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flanman5;1734067; said:
That looks greta DAVE greta pics too.
Where did you get the black pipe?
Is it powder coated?
Black pipe came with the kit from ebay. Not powder coated. Just painted. It scratches fairly easily.

Dave

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fysh guide;1734128; said:
Nice!! It's encouraging to see it so nicely laid out. Should get me motivated to install mine. I wasn't too keen on the notion of cutting the inner fender. So much to do, so little time......
What size pipe (id) are you running? I have an IC with 2.5" inlet/outlet and am considering going to a 3" unit to ensure goodflow.
Pipe is 2.5". My IC has 3" in and out. I had to get reducers for that, as well as the Peninsular intake. It's 3" also.

With 3" pipe you might have to cut the fender. It would be tight.

Dave

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jackb;1734230; said:
This is definitely motivating me to do this to my truck.
How did you mount the intercooler? It looks like a homemade bracket on the bottom of it.
I bought some 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar from Princess auto. I ran a piece on both the top and the bottom between the mounting bosses on the IC, drilled the bar and bolted it to the I/C. This way I had more flexibility on mounting locations. With that same bar I bent some 90* brackets, just short ones for the front and longer ones for the rear. For the front I mounted them inside the bumper nostrils and drilled through the bumper. On the rear there were a couple of holes in the frame/crossmember that I manged to get my fingers in enough to drop the bolts through and then bolted everything up. I'll take some better pics of this when I get a chance.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts