Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2006 Duramax LBZ and I love it!!! Today I was on the highway @ 70 mph and noticed my trans temp was above 200 degrees. It ended u[p stabilizing @ 220 degrees. I finished the trip home, it was around 100 miles. When I got home it was @ almost 250 degrees!!. This is definately above normal. I have no reason why. My truck has 9500 miles on it and is a 4wd LBZ. I checked the fluid level and it was right where it should be. I have no idea. Never abused, never towed, all stock. Any ideas??? I'm taking it in to GM tomorrow, but could have any damage been done already?

Please advise.

-MIKE

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Here's a pic of it. From sitting under the drivers side behind the front wheel looking forward. It's the only one that is bright red under there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Machinator;1596707; said:
The spin on is an external filter on the Allison mounted below the bellhousing on the driver's side.
The OEM Spin-on transmission filter is red, and is just a bit smaller than the engine oil filters used on small 4-cylinder cars.

Changing the Allison Spin-on is very easy. Typically you'll lose a quart of fluid (or less) when swapping the filter.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
See the front of the trans pan sitting right behind the filter itself?
they're big bucks at the dealerships - like 40 i believe, but, if you goto a heavy duty truck shop that services Allison trans they're cheaper I've heard.
Our you can buy 'em from one of our many vendors in quanity and save even more! Since Mike L. started helpin' ya, PM him and see if he's got any!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
HBruns;1596961; said:
The OEM Spin-on transmission filter is red, and is just a bit smaller than the engine oil filters used on small 4-cylinder cars.

Changing the Allison Spin-on is very easy. Typically you'll lose a quart of fluid (or less) when swapping the filter.
Do it when it's cold and fill up the new one w/ trans fluid before you start. Don't forget to switch the magnets from the old one to the new one.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Jasondt2001;1596967; said:
Do it when it's cold and fill up the new one w/ trans fluid before you start. Don't forget to switch the magnets from the old one to the new one.
:exactly: And use only oem Allison filters...

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You don't need to only use Allison filters any quality one will do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts