Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning, I believe a head gasket failed in my Submarine.

I stopped to fuel it and when I went to start it, it would not turn over. I tried a couple of times, and it finally started, and then proceeded to blow white smoke for some time. I pulled over to the water / air station and topped off the recovery tank.

The white smoke dissapated and I finished my morning commute (~another 20 miles).

I have had a slow loss of coolant for a couple of months and I suspect the leak finally got 'a lot worse'.

My question is, is it likely a head gasket, and/or a block crack? IIRC, the 97+ models had block crack problems and the 96 and earlier units had head gasket problems....

My engine has not had the head gaskets replaced at all.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes More Than Likely. If Your Not Seeing The Coolant Leaking Out Anywhere On The Ground, And The White Smoke Is Rolling Out The Pipe You Blew A Head Gasket. If It Didnt Get To Hot Your Head May Be Ok. Check It Out Good Though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
also

also check your oil see if it is milky in my case water was pouring out the gasket driver side rear could not miss it best if wishes

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Run with the radiator cap loose. That way pressure won't force it into the cylinders.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made it home OK. I had to add two gallons of H2O to make it.

Now the research begins...

Is a cracked block a possibility with my block or extremely unlikely?

·
Registered
28 Posts
hard to say. if the engine never got real hot or has not been abused to the full your probobly ok. you will find out more once you pull your heads. i have 210k on my sub and only pump work done to it.( fixing wize) nothing else and i also run extra boost and stuff, and run it pretty hard sometimes especially in the hills here. i haven't had any head or block trouble yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mtnman. I hqave only towed with my Submarine twice.

As you mentioned, I'll discovere the surprise waiting for me (how big of one) when I open up the motor...

Might get to it this weekend, if I can keep SWMBO from assigning 'new' projects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts