Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I had not been by the page in quite sometime and decided to drop in. HOLY COW
...Must be 6-8 polls about injectors, fuel filters and such...Is this still such a huge issue or do the majority like to debate this issue? I find the threads most interesting. I have a very early '01 and as some of you know I use my truck very hard in a variety of conditions and applications.

I purchased the secondary fuel filtration set up about 2 months ago and have had no time to install it. Soon I hope. I think to some degree, this boils down to a rigid PM process. I change all my filters every 7k miles regardless(Oil usually happens every 3-4K but have let it go 7K) It is cheap insurance and take 15 minutes to change Oil, Fuel and Allison filters. Unfortunately for the daily driver that is not mechanically inclined this would be an excessive cost to have a dealer do this plus the inconvenience. Now I am not saying my method is the best but it appears to be working and really it should. I have cut quite a few fuel filters, as well as oil, and they are clean. I have yet to have moisture build up in my fuel filter. I have not analyzed any oil samples as I think that is excessive for what a "User" needs to do or in most cases know.

So what is the plan with all the data that is being gathered? Here are some questions to think about

Is this to be compared with the volume of people that know about this page?

Is this poll going to be calculated and numbers extrapolated outward based on the numbers across the entire market of DMax trucks sold?

Is someone calculating the statistics of injector failures Vs people that have added power modules or propane?

Is proper maintenance part of the statistics? lousy maintenance practice could be the # 1 failure...

See where I am going with this. The sample size and the audience viewing is tainted and EXTREMELY SMALL. There are a tremendous amount of variables that will not allow anyone to pin down the failure mechanism or that it will happen on a certain year by a certain amount of miles. I have to believe this is why GM is not addressing the problems if they even exist based on what GM stated the truck would do.

Anyway, please carry on. I like reading peoples input. This is very good readingEdited by: Duramax Dually

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You're correct, the polls here are not doing us much good. If anything they'll scare people off unneccessarily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How so? Some of the polls have shown a relatively low failure rate given the fact that many who have failures are drawn to forums like this. So, I feel like a few percent failure rate from people on this board probably translates into an even lower failure rate in terms of the general public. At least that's my thinking - right or wrong.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
While these polls are not very Scientific, they do show some sort of a trend, the more miles the more of a chance of Injector issues. This didn't come out of the blue, some D/A pioneer owners have posted their own experiences, Captainmal comes to mind, sure if you use your truck to tow commercially or tow a 5th wheel most of the time, it puts alot more wear and tear, but that's what these trucks are made for.

I think these trucks are awesome,
2nd one for me, but if the injectors life span is between 100,000--200,000 miles thats not acceptable, I bought a Diesel for Longevity among other reasons, and Gassers can go that easy. Not to say, this is the case, we don't know yet, but as more trucks get up to these kind of miles, we can only wait and watch, and for some take extra precautions(secondary filtering).

Soon enough there will be more clarity on the Injector issue or Non issue and more then likely it will be based on Info compiled by members on this Forum. I am sure both Bosch and GM and even Dodge are watching how these High Pressure Fuel Systems perform long term. In the meantime I keep my fingers crossed and my filters clean.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tundracamper,

Hopefully my post was not viewed as adversarial. However I am a engineer that deal with statistics all the time. I know that statistics do not lie, however the data has to be accurate to acheive the best results and the sample size has to be correct. Here would be a question for you. "So if you think the numbers posted here could show us that actually a lower number of failures exist in the general public how can you make that assessment? There could 150,000 failures out there you are unaware of. Maybe the failure rate is higher with the general public than what has been posted on the site. Maybe the polling community on this site are very high PM type people(Which is probably the case). These are all assumptions but to many variables exist to make a claim. Here is another very important specific, Are their geographic concerns? Some areas are noted for having extremely dirty fuel at their service stations. Maybe people in NY have a higher failure rate than California. I mean we could on and on but my post was more inline with Hoot's response. If you come on this or any site and see a poll that shows "X" % of injector failures we might be falsley misleading that population of people. Strangely this type of posting also allows enterprises to come on with their "You need secondary filtration capability and I have designed just the very thing" saga. So people fear the worst and looking at the poll results feel they could be that "percentage" that might fail and out of fear buy something they may not really need. Do not get me wrong I believe extra filtration of any liquid product is always a good thing but is it really required?

Best Regards

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
I know these polls are not scientific.They just prove that there is alot less wrong with the Duramax than what most owners think.I figured that most people flock to these type of forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. More than 250,000 Duramaxes are on the road and all we can come up with is less than 100 trucks with failures.In the big picture that is absolutely nothing.

For example,Dodge has more tranny failures under warranty than Gm has injector failures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 01 model and only have 21,000 miles on it and it is almost 2 years old. I use it primarily to tow a 31' travel trailer. The injector issue does concern me since they are so expensive to replace. I try to use clean fuel and replace the filter about every 10K but who really knows if that is the main cause of failures anyway. It's an awesome truck but sometimes I think I might have been better off with the 8.1

·
Registered
197 Posts
Holy Molly! I think you completely misunderstood my post. I too am an engineer. I do not claim that any type of "model" can be generated from this data. HOWEVER, from reading the numerous posts on injector failures, one might be lead to believe that this is a very widespread problem. These polls, though, show otherwise. I'm not stating that there are no injector issues. However, I don't think that the failure rate is "high" (e.g. 50%+) as one MIGHT be drawn to conclude from the number of posts on this topic. Its just a topic that gets people hyped up and it gets lots of attention. So, it's easy to think that most injectors are subject to fail when in fact the numbers here show that is not "necessarily" the case. I really can't be any more vague than that!Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
909 Posts
Of course these are not scientific polls so strong conclusions can't be drawn from them. Aside from all the truck/driver variables, voters aren't randomly selected. Mean spirited folks (trolls) could vote and it may even be possible to vote multiple times from multiple log on aliases.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Broker,

You are right. I was only trying to point out how this type of forum can be dangerous to the general public. Most people do not look into the data and the results and how the data was gathered. They see a number and react. I am just finding it funny that from the data people are making assessments that a certain year with a certain amount of miles will have failures or are more likely too. Well I would suspect that a 01 would have a higher number than a 04...
Well there is no rocket science here but folks as the truck ages things will break..If you thought by purchasing a DMAX truck and that they would last forever than someone seriously mislead you. I think if you can go 100K+miles and you have a injector failure, or a rearend starts to go away or you develop a leak, etc, then I think you have done pretty well inspite of GM's claim that they should last 200K. Remember trucks in Labs do not see what a day to day truck sees. Their tests are very controlled and I suspect as any of the Big 3 do..They embellish them to some degree.

I say enjoy your truck, do the regular service intervals. Keep the truck in working order and you will most likely acquire the results you expected. If for some reason it breaks, get it fixed and carry on.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
Of course these are not scientific polls so strong conclusions can't be drawn from them. Aside from all the truck/driver variables, voters aren't randomly selected. Mean spirited folks (trolls) could vote and it may even be possible to vote multiple times from multiple log on aliases.
That's a real concern. There is no way to confirm the votes are authentic.

With so few samples it wouldn't take many votes from the dark sides to skew things excessively.

Only GM really knows and they ain't tellin. We also tend to hope for the poll to go our way and when they do or don't we try and come up with reasons why.... kinda like I'm doing now.

Yes it might show some trend but the fact that there are so many owners that do not register, browse or care about this site and the fact that the ones that search have a higher probability of having issues. People with no issues that do lurk may never join. People with issues have reason.

Notice Ford 6.0 PSD made the media with it's issues? I have yet to read anything in the media or in technical publications about Dmax issues and it's been out far longer.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Notice Ford 6.0 PSD made the media with it's issues? I have yet to read anything in the media or in technical publications about Dmax issues and it's been out far longer.

Good Point, Hoot

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
"Notice Ford 6.0 PSD made the media with it's issues? I have yet to read anything in the media or in technical publications about Dmax issues and it's been out far longer.

"

That is a excellant point Hoot ....

Mac

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mac,
Signature changed again, Are you back to chevy again, or still thinking about cummins?

By the way, I second the vote that Hoot has a good point. Nice post to put everything in perspective.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ditto what's been said about the polls, no need to rehash. I just want to point out something about forum members. In this thread, and several others, I have seen folks say we join because we want help with problems. That's not always the case. I tend to be one of the high PM types DMax Dually mentioned. I joined not because I was having problems, but because I wanted to avoid them. I think you'd find many are here for the same reason. I am on motorcycle and snowmachine forums for the same reason. I want to learn the ins and outs of the vehicle so I can keep it in good shape for years to come.

·
Registered
909 Posts
jc,

Another excellent point! I do the high pm too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've said it before, my truck is way, way over maintained LOL. Aside from the cost, I do enjoy saying that from time to time LOL

·
Registered
693 Posts
hoot said:
Ray403Dmax said:
That's a real concern. There is no way to confirm the votes are authentic.

With so few samples it wouldn't take many votes from the dark sides to skew things excessively.

Only GM really knows and they ain't tellin. We also tend to hope for the poll to go our way and when they do or don't we try and come up with reasons why.... kinda like I'm doing now.

Yes it might show some trend but the fact that there are so many owners that do not register, browse or care about this site and the fact that the ones that search have a higher probability of having issues. People with no issues that do lurk may never join. People with issues have reason.

The dmax was mentioned in a wall street article that I saw about the ford 6.0 debacle -> they mentioned that gm is gaining in market share with duramax equiped trucks at an astounding pace as a result of customer issues with ford.

jeff

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ask Allitech how many trucks his dealer has sold vs how many have come back for injector problems. This should give us a more accurate failure rate.

Just my .02

Blake

·
Registered
962 Posts
Then again to muddy the waters..it works both ways..not everyone that has problems knows about this site. *shrugs* I have run into numerous people and told them about it, and have yet to see another pensacola person register.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts